Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ideas For Improvement of Swamp

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    I think this is what I am going to do. Hopefully drain some water off then clean up some of the trash stuff, maybe a little smart weed as well since it is covered in it. Want to make a little more open water and give a variety of food sources. Will probably bait if hard right after the season through beginning of March, got to be careful for turkey season as I turkey hunt the property here and there. Then I will install a leveler and see what I can get done this summer.
    I think this is the right plan, it's what I've done at my place and I'd do it again. Install the leveler, drain it down during the summer so it's dry, clear out what you can, spray, burn, etc. You might be surprised what will grow naturally if you drain it down and expose the mud....I certainly was. Another benefit to the leveler is that you can drain it down this spring and put some wood duck boxes up in the right areas.

I've also been planting oaks around the edges.....willow, gobbler sawtooth, pin, water oaks.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Send away
    Done
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    I think this is the right plan, it's what I've done at my place and I'd do it again. Install the leveler, drain it down during the summer so it's dry, clear out what you can, spray, burn, etc. You might be surprised what will grow naturally if you drain it down and expose the mud....I certainly was. Another benefit to the leveler is that you can drain it down this spring and put some wood duck boxes up in the right areas.

I've also been planting oaks around the edges.....willow, gobbler sawtooth, pin, water oaks.
    I appreciate your information and your help when I asked about the leveler. I do want to promote more natural food growth but would like to have a variety for the ducks. I understand it may bring attention to the swamp, but it will hopefully bring in a few ducks and give them a good place to eat and rest. My oldest son will be ready to go in a couple years so I want to have it ready for him and hopefully YoungbuckTX's son when he is ready. I just want an opportunity to shoot a few ducks of mixed variety and help with habitat.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Plan on putting in a leveler and doing some clearing/planting on this e next summer

594540CA-EC30-41F8-A0BE-F38F85D0E0B1.jpg
    80-20 Genaration

Do ducks actually eat duck weed?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Replied
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.