Thread: 2 Stroke 50hp Yamaha

Default 2 Stroke 50hp Yamaha

Motor started acting up yesterday. Pulled carbs to clean and put compression tester on the motor. Bottom cylinder is reading 60psi. I pulled the head cover off in hopes that it was just a head gasket causing compression loss. It appears (per my neighbor/boat mechanic friend) that the cylinder is starting to go as it is showing signs on the cylinder walls. At this point I am trying to weigh my options on the best route to take to repairing the motor. This is most certainly a tight budget repair. Curious to see what the SCDUCKS Brain trust has to say? Do I pull the head and have it rebuilt? Find a used 70hp? Or just buy a new OEM head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Find another motor is what i would do. Da monthlies be cheap

You could get the cylinders bored and new pistons, etc. but for all that you could probably find another motor used. You want a 50 or larger I assume?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

If you are doing the work, cheaper to just find another head and go with it. May be able to get lucky with finding new/used parts on eBay. You didn’t say what year it is, so hard to tell if paying someone for parts/their markup and labor would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    If you are doing the work, cheaper to just find another head and go with it. May be able to get lucky with finding new/used parts on eBay. You didn’t say what year it is, so hard to tell if paying someone for parts/their markup and labor would be worth it.
    It’s an 06 motor

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

What was the compression on the other cylinders out of curiosity?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    What was the compression on the other cylinders out of curiosity?

Shade under 120 on the top and just over 90 on the middle

Even that middle cylinder seems low. They all should be in that 115ish range. Might just a be a ring, be either way it'll require splitting the block which is time consuming and time is money.

If you do decide to rebuild the only "budget friendly" option is to do it yourself. You get someone else to do it you'll need some cash sitting some ready to fork. Any competent mechanic that does it for a living is gonna hurt your feelings. Shade tree guys can do but it's normally a side job they do in their spare time and it takes forever.

You can only 2 of the 3: fast, cheap or good. Can't get all 3.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

You have all the plugs out when doing the compression check? Throttle open? I'd be getting a second opinion with another set of gauges to verify before I start weighing options on a rebuild.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    You have all the plugs out when doing the compression check? Throttle open? I'd be getting a second opinion with another set of gauges to verify before I start weighing options on a rebuild.

I’ve had two certified Yamaha Mechanics that are both good friends look at it. They, unfortunately, confirmed my fears.

Don't know if it will lead to anywhere, but there is a fella on craigslist that is advertising a bunch of Yamaha 40 and over stuff. Just FYI. If I can find the link, I'll post it.
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

Quote Originally Posted by DuckorBust View Post
    Don't know if it will lead to anywhere, but there is a fella on craigslist that is advertising a bunch of Yamaha 40 and over stuff. Just FYI. If I can find the link, I'll post it.
    I believe I’ve seen that ad as well

I'd be tapping those 2 friends to help a brotha out on a rebuild.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]