Thread: Big boat trolling motor

Default Big boat trolling motor

Have a 23' center console and was debating on putting one of those 112 lb. thrust minn kotas on the front and was wondering if any of you guys had done this already? Really just considering doing this and selling my xpress if the trolling motor would allow me to fish in a decent current or if the anchor mode is the only advantage. I only use the xpress in the spring bass/crappie fishing and it really never see's the water after that unless my dad takes it deer hunting.

Yes the 112 would be your best bet, Minnkota Ulterra.
    I have never used one in current but I have seen many people on the coast do so.

Get a Rhodan and you can use it to "anchor" offshore as well...
    Last edited by FishSticker; 12-05-2018 at 04:42 PM.

The Rhodan and Minn Kota seem to have the same functions but there is a Minn Kota repair place here and that's kind of pushing me towards that option. I was just curious about trolling down the bank inshore, casting for trout, reds, etc. against a decent current. Not having to put the anchor out is a pretty awesome option for inshore and offshore. Hate to spend 3k on a trolling motor and be disappointed though.

36 volt minn Kota will do exactly what you are asking. I do it all the time in my buddies 24 pathfinder. I have an 80lb 24v on my 18 flats boat and it will pull me along at 4mph on rabbit mode.

Also don’t get the one that auto stows and deploys. I’ve heard of a bunch of horror stories with those. Just get the regular I pilot.

Have the ulterra 112 36v on my 250br key west and it does a fine job. Anchor feature works good but in a really strong current it does a lot of moving to keep you in position and makes more noise than I'd like, power pole solves this issue.

Understood.... I fish on two boats with Rhodans... a 31 Regulator and a 43 Freeman. We have bottom fished in 15 knot winds with a 4 kt current and they performed flawlessly. I would feel fairly confident it would work for your needs just fine.
    Very good buddy of mine has a 243 Everglades with the 112 Minn Kota on it....we fish the creeks in it and we take it bottom fishing in 100'. Chances are that 243 weighs and has the same basic characteristics as your average 23 cc...t top, 4.5k pounds and a relatively deep vee. Make sure you install it with a quick release so it won't be in the way when not being utilized and tli think you will be very pleased. A 243 is on my short list to upgrade my inshore boat and it will certainly have one installed.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 12-05-2018 at 05:32 PM.

This is a sportsman 232 open so if it pulls that Everglades around I'm sure it will pull mine

Tell me about this trolling motor that will hold a 43 Freeman in place in a 15 knot wind and a 4 kt current. Or did I miss the exaggeration font?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Tell me about this trolling motor that will hold a 43 Freeman in place in a 15 knot wind and a 4 kt current. Or did I miss the exaggeration font?

I have the 112# I-Pilot on my 22’ bay boat. I have been very pleased. I am glad I went with it over a 24V motor. I mounted it using the quick detach bracket. That is the way to go in my opinion. When fishing is not on the menu, it is very easy to remove.

We have had many customers add a trolling motor to the 231/232. Hell, some have even added them on their 282s. The Gulf guys love them for holding over wrecks and that popularity is taking over in other places as well. You will need to fabricate a shim so that it sits flat over the toe rail though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Do you guys end up with 5 batteries or just use the 3 for trolling and one for cranking?

5 Batteries and 2 on board chargers.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 12-06-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I know what it is I know how it works. I’ve never been offshore where a true 15 knt wind only showed the occasional whitecap like in that video. Always hard to tell from a video. But That video looked like 5-10, maybe. I’ve run 24v autopilots for years and they’re awesome. I know that’s not close to a motor that has over probably 100 lbs of thrust. But when I see one hold a 42 Freeman in a true 4 kt current and true 15kt wind I’ll believe it.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    I know what it is I know how it works. I’ve never been offshore where a true 15 knt wind only showed the occasional whitecap like in that video. Always hard to tell from a video. But That video looked like 5-10, maybe. I’ve run 24v autopilots for years and they’re awesome. I know that’s not close to a motor that has over probably 100 lbs of thrust. But when I see one hold a 42 Freeman in a true 4 kt current and true 15kt wind I’ll believe it.
    Video was for demonstrative purposes only...
    Last edited by FishSticker; 12-06-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: No need to get into an innerweb fussing match over something you won't believe and I cant prove.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Do you guys end up with 5 batteries or just use the 3 for trolling and one for cranking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    5 Batteries and 2 on board chargers.
    Exactly how my old Bay Boat was setup...

Right on! I guess I better start getting a boat ready to sell.