Thread: 11/14-17

Default 11/14-17

On 11/14 and 11/15, my little water hole was frozen, but I managed to drop a couple of GWT and two greenheads on the 14th PM when I was checking to see if the warming temps had opened it up yet. By the am of the 16th it was back open for business, and I hunted there in the am for the first time. I've never had a duckhunt where it all worked like it is supposed to until the 16th. I had a 15-25mph west wind, and had a good spread up against the west edge of the pond and a good hide in the west bank grass. At legal, the ducks were hovering above the decoys...basically standing still in the wind, and shooting them was like shooting a target at a turkey shoot. I wish I had a few buds with me, because it was over way to quickly. Here is a bunch of future jerky on a bunch of future selfbows!

A snowstorm blew in and dropped the temps from low 60s to single digits in a hurry. I headed out the next morning in driving snow with a good 4 inches already on the ground hoping the wind and ducks had kept my pond open. A hundred or so left as I walked in, so I was pretty excited about what the weather would bring. At legal, the wind absolutely died. I was able to shoot two greenheads and a hen pintail...I think...before all the groups started giving me one look and bolting. I finally figured out that my pond was icing up and my decoys were getting locked in and shiny. After re-positioning the decoys in open water and dealing with several frozen firing pin mishaps, I was able to scratch out two hen mallards before the pond totally locked up right before my eyes. Is the non-mallard in this pic a hen pintail? Hen Wigeon? She has pretty much a white belly. Regardless, this is some freaking fun hunting out here!

Going to go goose hunting over T-giving with the husband of a girl I work with. He has a trailer full of goose decoys and is supposedly goose-freaking-crazy. Never been on a hunt actually targeting geese, but my first one should be epic...this place has more geese than SC has mosquitoes. Happy Thanksgiving to ye all!
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 11-20-2018 at 12:24 AM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

You got yourself a hen wigeon.

Congrats on some good hunts and good birds!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Default 11/14-17

Sounds like a couple of awesome hunts! Thanks for sharing! Looks like a hen pintail to me as well. Just would need to see the bill and speculum better to know for sure.

ETA: looking at feathers on head better I change my answer to wigeon as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by codeman216; 11-20-2018 at 06:39 AM.

WeJun of the Hen type... Sounds like a ball of fun. Keep posting pics.

Very nice. How much longer is the season up thar?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Awesome.

Season goes well into January and mid February for geese. Weather is nuts. It’s back in the 50s and feels like 90 compared to earlier this week. I’m heading out to try to break open a clean hole in the pond and throw out some decoys for tomorrow and maybe Friday...wind is supposed to move in Friday and blow up to 65mph! Then snow and frigid again by Sat am. I’ll either kill ducks, blow away, get pneumonia or some combo thereof.

You do know it is 2018 right.

Disregard. I misread the dates.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 11-21-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Well, I found out today that 12 dozen goose decoys and wave after wave of geese does not guarantee squat! Geese ain’t dumb!

They have revised the forecast and the wind will be 25-35 at daybreak and quickly picking up to 40-50 with frequent 70mph gusts and occasional 80+ gusts. I’m shootings with the wind at my back, so I figure my effective range will be ~ 120 yards. This looks to be my last chance yo kill ducks here before the pond locks up for good, so I’m going to give it a go. Will try to get some video of it.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 11-22-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Where are you located?

SE Wyoming.

Good deal. Just moved west myself and was curious if you were close. I’m in E. Washington.

Close is relative out here! You getting in to any quackers up there?