Thread: Duck Gumbo

Default Duck Gumbo

Looking for a good recipe. Was curious if y'all had any Cajun buddies with a good recipe?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Bake the roux instead of trying to make it on the stove. Much less chance of burning it, especially on your first time out.

I have made the roux before. But you right it's a job
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

You can do it but it won't have a soul

I've made and eaten a lot of gumbo and I make my own roux. I learned from a Cajun momma and didn't use a recipe until the first time I wanted to make duck gumbo. First time I made duck gumbo I used this recipe but left the okra out - this Cajun-at-heart knows better than to make creole gumbo - leave the okra out.

Two things that make this special - the white pepper gives it a whole different dimension and frying the duck first makes the roux way more special than your standard roux.

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfo...ing/duck-gumbo

Also, despite what the recipe says, it takes way longer than 3-4 minutes for your roux to get dark. Just stir until it is a shade lighter than herseys milk chocolate, don't worry about the time, just worry about stirring and the color.
    Last edited by ajwf662; 11-26-2018 at 12:33 PM.

It usually takes about a half hour to get it there. It won't thicken like a blonde roux so I add some more flour toward the end and let it cook a couple of minutes. You could use filé powder to thicken. I've never used a recipe. Onions, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaf, cayenne, S&P. I use pickled okra. The point of a gumbo is to use what you have, so I don't get bent out of shape when people add non traditional things. But if someone tries to get fancy and add some truffle or fennel pollen, I'm liable to call them annoy so nice name.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-26-2018 at 12:51 PM.