Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Please Help Me Kill It

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Camden, SC
    Posts
    12,760

    Default Please Help Me Kill It

    Needless to say, 2-4-D didn't do anything to this stuff since it isn't a broadleaf. It is giving my mower a damned fit since my slack-ass let it get outta hand.

    What is? What kills it so I don't have to contend with the crap next year?

    Thanks!

    (Major concern is 1st picture. Minor is 2nd pic.)

    Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the thick of it.
    Posts
    4,265

    Default

    1st one is broomsedge. You can raise the pH and it'll die out. It can not stand 6.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Camden, SC
    Posts
    12,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    1st one is broomsedge. You can raise the pH and it'll die out. It can not stand 6.0.
    Cool. So I can just lime the hell out of it?

    Do they make a liquid that'll do it? I don't have a big spreader, but have a sprayer.

    Appreciate it.

    Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the thick of it.
    Posts
    4,265

    Default

    Yes, yes and it’s not financially feasible to use the liquid products out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Camden, SC
    Posts
    12,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Yes, yes and it’s not financially feasible to use the liquid products out there.
    I assumed as much.

    I'm asking around some friends for a spreader. Found one on Amazon for $160, but...

    Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 11-19-2018 at 12:08 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bowman
    Posts
    5,019

    Default

    How many acres?
    Find the local AG fertilizer dealer and have them spread 2tons/ac of lime and plan to do it every few years.
    cut\'em

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Camden, SC
    Posts
    12,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    How many acres?
    Find the local AG fertilizer dealer and have them spread 2tons/ac of lime and plan to do it every few years.
    It is probably only 2-2.5ac.

    I found a buddy with a spreader. I'm guessing 1/2 ton?

    Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Camden, SC
    Posts
    12,760

    Default

    Oh. Hell.

    Glancing online, it can take a few tons per acre. I may have to do a portion at a time.

    Hot damn, I had no idea it could take that much!

    Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    saluda, sc
    Posts
    1,909

    Default

    Most ag places rent the spreader and have lime. The ones I have used can be pulled behind a truck. Itís really that simple. A ton of lime is not that expensive in the big picture.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 11-19-2018 at 02:30 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Camden, SC
    Posts
    12,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Most ag places rent the spreader and have lime. The ones I have used can be pulled behind a truck. Itís really that simple. A ton of lime is not that expensive in the big picture.
    Yeah, but I am guessing I probably need 4 tons.

    I need to go to Agri-Supply one day. Never been.

    I assume I can get bulk lime cheaper than $4/40lbs like it is at Lowes?

    Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Carolina Backcountry
    Posts
    10,956

    Default

    disc around it and set it on fire
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the thick of it.
    Posts
    4,265

    Default

    If this is a food plot or garden or some sort, the grass isn't the real problem, its the pH. Unless you're planting blueberries on that patch, call your local co-op and have them bring a spreader truck with 6 tons. Pay the man and solve the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bowman
    Posts
    5,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Yeah, but I am guessing I probably need 4 tons.

    I need to go to Agri-Supply one day. Never been.

    I assume I can get bulk lime cheaper than $4/40lbs like it is at Lowes?

    Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk
    A spin spreader will not spread it.

    Yes by the truckload it is probably $40/ton delivered. Go find a Meherrin, Carolina Eastern, southern states, etc close by and get them to spread it for you. Least painful route guaranteed.
    cut\'em

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Camden, SC
    Posts
    12,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    If this is a food plot or garden or some sort, the grass isn't the real problem, its the pH. Unless you're planting blueberries on that patch, call your local co-op and have them bring a spreader truck with 6 tons. Pay the man and solve the problem.
    Never knew such existed.

    It isn't a plot of any sort. Just part of the "yard" that I keep up. If I stay on top of it, it is ok. But damn when I let it go during the summer, I is so damned thick that my mower stalls even on the highest setting.

    Thanks for all the help.

    Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •