Thread: Sawtooth

Default Sawtooth

I have 3 small sawtooth oaks that where germinated in a green house last year and were given to me recently. Anyone want to school me on planting these and best way to take care of them.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Hard to screw up sawtooths. Put em in a tree tube and water em in dry conditions for the first summer

10-4 would it be ok to go ahead and put them in the ground now?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Ok to plant now. Use tree tube like SW said so that they will grow verticle and not get rubbed by deer.
    If it is planted in clay, make sure the roots can drain somehow.

We have planted a bunch of these things. Check them in the summertime to make sure the worms don't eat all the leaves off. May need to spray.

Also, mark the trees with ribbon or something so they don't get bushhogged by accident...

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    We have planted a bunch of these things. Check them in the summertime to make sure the worms don't eat all the leaves off. May need to spray.

Also, mark the trees with ribbon or something so they don't get bushhogged by accident...
    This is all excellent advice
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Thanks fellas! Any advice on fertilizer or when to and what to use? Thanks again!

Also, be smart when selecting the location. Not just full sun, but the best soil you have available. The difference is astounding. We have some that are five years old and still look like two year old whips because the soil sucks so badly. If you can avoid red clay, do so. Also, I like to put in some moisture retaining powder when I plant. And go with 5 foot tubes- not 4 footers. I also like to use a 2 foot square of landscaping fabric to help retain moisture for the first growing season.
    Carolina Counsel