Thread: Water vegetation ID

Smartweed and coontail= duck food
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Smartweed and coontail= duck food
    Birdies in big trouble

Would have to see it in person. Send GPS coordinates and would be happy to tell you....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I don't care what these clowns on here say about that shit in the top picture.....it ain't worth a shit to a duck. I've got a lowland swamp with probably 15 acres of that shit and it attracts zero ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I don't care what these clowns on here say about that shit in the top picture.....it ain't worth a shit to a duck. I've got a lowland swamp with probably 15 acres of that shit and it attracts zero ducks.
    Well the acorn trees on the banks will carry its weight

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Would have to see it in person. Send GPS coordinates and would be happy to tell you....
    Why don’t I just take you there myself

First pic is lady’s thumb smartweed, and rabbitman should stick to bunny hunting, bc I’m currently watching gadwall and teal feeding on it as we speak. Rather voraciously to be honest.

Also, the 2nd pic is parrotfeather. Non-native, and other than hosting invertebrates, it’s useless to a duck.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
    Why don’t I just take you there myself
    Passion.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    First pic is lady’s thumb smartweed, and rabbitman should stick to bunny hunting, bc I’m currently watching gadwall and teal feeding on it as we speak. Rather voraciously to be honest.

Also, the 2nd pic is parrotfeather. Non-native, and other than hosting invertebrates, it’s useless to a duck.
    I've been hunting family property with that shit in it my whole life and never see anything eating it. Occasionally I'll jump a wood duck or two from it....most likely just loafing. There is no seed, just little pink flowers. What is there for ducks to eat?
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 11-16-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Same here. If it wasn't for the oak trees on one side of the swamp I wouldn't have any ducks. The 10-15 acres of that shit and cat tails is always void of ducks.

Cattails are useless to ducks.

Smartweed is a primary food source. There are seeds in the flowers.

Strange your ducks aren’t eating it.

Remember just because you have a food source doesn’t mean you’ll have ducks.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Go look at the place earlier in the year. The local wood ducks may be eating it all before you start looking for ducks.

That's not coontail... sorry... i second the parrotfeather.

no ducks in smartweed? consider how deep it's flooded. If it's too deep, they can't get to the seed that has fallen out to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Like they say in real estate, "location location location "...
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

What’s an acorn tree?

Mallard ducks do not eat akerns. Just axe Candor...

#limitsindamonon
    867-5309

Parrot feather was introduced by people pouring their aquarium fish into the environment. It's invasive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You hunt this opener? If so curious how it went?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965