Thread: Good read on an Oregon Inlet legend...

Default Good read on an Oregon Inlet legend...

Fished on a couple of Tillets up there 20-25 some odd years ago....great stories behind them.

Enjoy....

https://www.marlinmag.com/omie-tille...MPID=ene111418
    Last edited by FishSticker; 11-15-2018 at 11:45 AM.

We got to hang out with Capt. Omie on his old boat that he had sold to a friend we always docked next to during the tournament fishing days. I swear the man knew every person from Kitty Hawk to Cape Fear and then some...

Always enjoyed hearing him blessing the fleet at the tournaments...his picture is right beside the definition of "High-Tider"....never had the opportunity to speak to him any more than in passing but crossed paths with Tony on a couple of occasions...
    Last edited by FishSticker; 11-15-2018 at 10:53 AM.

That is a great article.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Pretty cool, and I didn't know Boss Hog was into the offshore game.

I lived in Avon and Hatteras Village for 13 years after college. I was a mate out of Oregon Inlet each summer.
    A unique place and back then, these old timers sat around telling stories. Wasn't as touristy as it is now.
    I fished with most of them. They all had locally built (Manteo or Wanchese) sport fishers with round sterns.
    Had never seen a round stern on a big boat until then and they told me, it was better for backing down on a Marlin.
    Also, when pulling a net in, the net doesn't get snagged on the corners of the transom.
    Didn't have waves coming over the stern when backing down. I don't miss that place
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-15-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Pretty cool, and I didn't know Boss Hog was into the offshore game.
    Boss Hog had nothing on that crowd or their local LEO back in the day.

That place has more fish and ducks and I’m jealous... how about catching three blues on the first day out of the box. I like the pink express on the left short too!
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I have seen hundreds of redhead ducks stacked like firewood behind Pea Island

and make no mistake, they are not afraid to lay the corn to the shallows in the sound behind Hatteras either.
    ETA: at least they weren't back when I lived there. Was a pretty desolate place in the winter
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-16-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Yep. And head a bit north to Tangier and the stacks only got bigger...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Those Tangier watermen give zero fucks when it comes to being regulated.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Shush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    and make no mistake, they are not afraid to lay the corn to the shallows in the sound behind Hatteras either.
    ETA: at least they weren't back when I lived there. Was a pretty desolate place in the winter
    Hunted in Mattamuskeet a good bit back in the early 90's....first time there, just before daylight, my buddy laughs quietly and says " Oh by the way....don't look down!". Prob'ly could have spotted it from 30k feet.....

It’s amazing that the redheads feed near cane poles
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

When every Dare Co. sheriff deputy on the Island is a cousin or brother or brother in-law and Park Service folks as well
    and the elected Sheriff thinks the sheriff department is his own little corporation designed to employ every relative he has.
    Things can get a little sideway$ and fun for the "in-crowd". This goes for all county departments, from building inspectors right down
    to DOT, Ferry Operations, etc...……….you have no idea how crazy that place was. I had a blast and again, don't miss it and glad I got
    out of there. Have a lot a good friends on that Island. One called me a few weeks ago to tell me a little corner lot I use to own on Hwy 12
    that I sold in 1987 at 27 years of age for $55k just sold for over $2M. I bought it and turned around and sold it in less than 3 months and netted $8K
    and thought I had done something...……….Ocean front lots were $17K for miles and miles, and waterfront lots on the soundside were $7500.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-16-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Those Tangier watermen give zero fucks when it comes to being regulated.
    Those guys shoot herons. And eat em.

I think i talked about this once in here, but its a fun story. A couple friends and I were sitting around talking on a charterboat that tied on the moorehead city waterfront. One of em pulled out a photo album. There were some recently taken polaroids of hundreds of redheads laid out in their backyard. Apparently, they like to start baiting after the season and shot em in late march. All while drinking heavily, which is in keeping with Carteret County tradition.