Thread: TV Antenna Questions/Suggestions

Default TV Antenna Questions/Suggestions

Looking to cut cable at a family vacation home. I figure between Netflix, amazon prime, fire sticks, dish anywhere, etc., we can pretty much watch what we need to. Looking at putting up an antenna for basic/local channels. Would like to run four TVs off of it and have coax/outlets to each one already with splitter outside. Any experience/suggestions on a good outdoor, long distance antenna that can support four TVs? If so, am I going to need an amplifier with it? The ones I have looked at all seem to get mixed reviews. Thanks.

The one I have is in the thread below. No complaints at all. Mine is mounted on a 20 ft pole and I get tv stations from Columbia, MB, and Charleston. Granted I'm basically in the middle of all three.

I think it has an amplifier on it, but I'm not positive as I only have it run to one tv, but from what I remember there was a way to run it after the amplifier.

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...hlight=antenna

Not sure where you are, but I have a mount that you can have. Just swing by and pick it up. I never sent it back and It's in my way. It mounts on the side of the house and didn't work for me due to the depth of my eaves. But you could use it to mount in your attic as long as you don't have a metal roof.

If you have internet at your vacation spot, I would recommend YouTube TV. I love it. $40 a month, and you can take it with you wherever you go.

We quit paying for cable 3 years ago and have had this antenna ever since, it works great for the limited amount of TV we watch. I can get news channels in MB, CHS and Florence on that antenna. We also use Apple TV that runs off our WiFi which we use to watch College Football (ESPN), TV series, YouTube, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Vansky-Outdoo...rds=tv+antenna
    Last edited by ecwooduck; 11-13-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

We have the same antenna as mentioned above. I have it mounted on a 20' section of 1.5" conduit. It picks up around 40 channels.

Thanks for the recommendations. Keep them coming. We do have internet, but would rather not pay another subscription for something like YouTube tv. We can do dishanywhere and have a firestick, Netflix, and amazon prime already. With the fire stick and dish subscription, we can watch pretty much all sporting events we want. The house is on stilts at beach. Would one of the outdoor antennas handle the wind or would I be better off with an attic mount? Have plenty of room in attic. Do y’all have to do much moving of the antenna or just leave it stationary? Didn’t know how that would work with people watching different channels.
    Last edited by wbrown609; 11-13-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecwooduck View Post
    We quit paying for cable 3 years ago and have had this antenna ever since, it works great for the limited amount of TV we watch. I can get news channels in MB, CHS and Florence on that antenna. We also use Apple TV that runs off our WiFi which we use to watch College Football (ESPN), TV series, YouTube, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Vansky-Outdoo...rds=tv+antenna
    This is what I have recommended in several threads. Mine has been mounted a few years now and is still going strong.

I know Ollie's has these same antennas for $25 right now.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Do you have to rotate it much or have you just set it up and left it alone?

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    I have not rotated it since I set it up. There is a website that tells you what channels to expect from what direction. I chose the direction that looked like would give us the most options and went with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    The one I linked has a motor on it that rotates by a dial at the tv. But I rarely rotate mine. It helps if I want to pick up Columbia vs MB. But I think you'll find that you can set it in one direction and leave it depending on where the stations are around you.

I have an antenna mounted in the attic and also direct TV Now. That runs off of the internet with a roku stick. I tested a few options and it does sports the best with the least skipping.

I have two of the cheap $15 flat antennas in the attic. I have one on the east side of the house mounted on the wall of the attic and one on the west. They run to a splinter that runs to an amplifier that hooks up to the original cable wired for the house. This set up gives me 22 channels in all rooms of the house (where there is a coax hookup).