Thread: JD Van Brunt drill parts?

Default JD Van Brunt drill parts?

I've got an old John Deere drill that needs a few new opener discs. I'm not sure of the exact model. It's a Van Brunt but there are variations among those. Does anyone have a good source for parts for these? Can anyone tell me how to tell the more specific model number for the thing?

grain drill.jpg

If you can figure out the model, which there should be some sort of nameplate on there, you can order parts for those drills directly from John Deere
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

1E052999-AF47-4C07-BFF8-0073B62F35B6.jpg

Is that not an old nameplate there on the area I circled ?
    I could be wrong but I think I’ve seen them there on some of our grain drills
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 10-09-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Try Shoup. They have an excellent parts selection.

https://www.shoupparts.com/

https://www.shoupparts.com/products/...-disc-openers/
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 10-09-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks for the replies. I think I found a replacement opener disc at Shoup. I ordered one to see if it's right. If it fits, I'll replace a few more.

This drill is adequate but I've already found features I'd like that it doesn't have.

I'd like to have a hydraulic cylinder to lift it for turns. My tractor has a single rear remote.

I think the hopper is poorly designed because it won't empty without human intervention. I also wouldn't mind a small seed hopper.

The seed doors on this one are in need of replacement. I can't totally shut off the drops for the transport between fields. It's not wasting enough seed to make me go to the trouble of finding and replacing them though.

It would be nice to have one with a three point hitch to transport it and a tongue to use for following the field contour while actually planting. Some of my fields are miles apart over paved roads and this one doesn't like to go faster than 10 mph without starting to swerve from side to side. I don't want one wider than 10 feet or so.

I frequently need to plant right behind real crops so no-till is a must.

What kind of used drill should I be looking for that would fill most of my requirements? Where's the best place to look. My schedule doesn't have room in it for me to run the farm auction circuit looking for implements.

Get ready to spend 10 grand for a used one. Good luck.

PB,
    If you decide to sell that one let me know, my dad buys and sells them from time to time and he may be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I think I found a replacement opener disc at Shoup. I ordered one to see if it's right. If it fits, I'll replace a few more.

This drill is adequate but I've already found features I'd like that it doesn't have.

I'd like to have a hydraulic cylinder to lift it for turns. My tractor has a single rear remote.

I think the hopper is poorly designed because it won't empty without human intervention. I also wouldn't mind a small seed hopper.

The seed doors on this one are in need of replacement. I can't totally shut off the drops for the transport between fields. It's not wasting enough seed to make me go to the trouble of finding and replacing them though.

It would be nice to have one with a three point hitch to transport it and a tongue to use for following the field contour while actually planting. Some of my fields are miles apart over paved roads and this one doesn't like to go faster than 10 mph without starting to swerve from side to side. I don't want one wider than 10 feet or so.

I frequently need to plant right behind real crops so no-till is a must.

What kind of used drill should I be looking for that would fill most of my requirements? Where's the best place to look. My schedule doesn't have room in it for me to run the farm auction circuit looking for implements.
    https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...-No-Till-drill
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I saw the drill Calibogue has in the trading post. Looks great but I only have a single hydraulic rear remote. I'd prefer one about 10' wide and a lot less complicated and heavy than his. I'm just goofing off, not serious farming.

http://burrells.net

I have bought a bunch of Van Brunt parts from here.

Nothing to it to put a cylinder on that drill. We did it on an old JD about like that.

Just for some follow through, the disc I ordered from Shoup fits and I've ordered enough to replace the rest of them. Here's the details:

Here's the part number and URL.

https://www.shoupparts.com/GD12410-O...e-Grain-Drills

GD12410
    DISC ASSEMBLY
    $39.95

2018-10-13 11.37.46.jpg
    2018-10-13 11.37.21.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    Nothing to it to put a cylinder on that drill. We did it on an old JD about like that.
    That's a damn good idea. Can you take a picture of the one you modified? What would the stationary bracket be called that connects to the cylinder clevis pin?

PB, that Sukup is a great food plot drill but you need two remotes .
    A 10 ft notill will cost you a whole lot more than my drill and adding a remote for what it's worth!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Glad the parts from Shoup worked out for you. I am about to order more for my 3pt setup. The previous owner left it out in the weather and as a result I’ve got 4 openers that rusted causing a flat spot. I am tired of getting off the tractor after ever pass to clear plugged seed drops which causes uneven rows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3pt is the way to go, pull type takes a mile to turn around. We planted 60 acres in food plots, from 1/2 to 10 acres , most long and narrow and access to some , a pull type would be beat to death. I would recommend getting one the width of tractor. We got a 3PT 606NT with small grains hopper . It will hold 10 bags of seed. And 2 bags in small grain hopper. I don’t harrow , I spray throughout the summer and keep dirt bare.

I took redfox's suggestion and added a cylinder so I can pick up for turns without getting off the tractor twice for each turnaround.
    With the new discs, seed tubes and now hydraulics, I think I can make due with this old antigue.

Shoup has been a good recommendation too for parts. They have a good selection and ship fast.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 11-10-2018 at 12:02 PM.