Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    So im shopping around for a new home owners policy. Since when do they ask about your dogs history with visitors or other behavior? And since when do they ask if you have guns in the house? Since when is that any of their business? If they would have asked about value of my guns, that would be 1 thing, but they didnt. They wanted to know if i had them locked up. WTH?
    What company? I have never been asked any of those questions and have no exclusions other than a max $ value on firearms and jewelry, etc.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Do you really want to be covered by an insurance agency that does lose consistently? If they are operating right above a lose and the big one happens, they are done.
    This right here. There are several small independent companies that had the best prices that are no longer around. All it takes is a Harvey, Michael, Hugo, etc and those people are gone forever. And their clients are sitting there wondering what the heck happened.

Insurance is a for profit business. The companies that do the best at correctly gauging price to risk win.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Insurance is one of the most crooked schemes in the country. The companies rarely lose. If they pay a claim they increase rates or cancel the policy. If they don’t pay a claim they collect a premium and eventually raise the rate.
    You do realize that insurance companies are in business to make money (just like any business) don't you?? Are you suggesting that they should lose money or just break even?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    You do realize that insurance companies are in business to make money (just like any business) don't you?? Are you suggesting that they should lose money or just break even?
    Just breaking even would be great! An you arrange that? ��
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-13-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Hey Allstate has donated millions and million to college scholarships. They making all kinds of money apparently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Sounds like you need to change agents. I signed up not to long ago and was not asked any of those questions. I saved a shit ton of money to with same coverage. Independent agents are the way to go.
    This^

Moose I am an independent agent so shoot me a pm if you have any questions. As far as dogs go some of the companies I contract with will want to know if you have any animals that have ever bitten anybody on premise just because of the liability associated with that. As far as guns go... I have never asked that question to a client in my life... unless it was about insuring them.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Insurance is one of the most crooked schemes in the country. The companies rarely lose. If they pay a claim they increase rates or cancel the policy. If they don’t pay a claim they collect a premium and eventually raise the rate.
    Don’t you sue them for a living?
    cut\'em

Our agent asked about the dogs last time. When we said brits and labs there was no issue.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

No offense but Allstate can kiss my ass.... I signed a policy with them after ditching State Farm after finally raising my rates beyond my tolerance level (w/ no claims in 17 years). Well, one month later I get a letter saying Allstate is cancelling my policy since I didn't have any other coverage with them. How about tell me that up front so I can decide what to do before signing? I still saved about 40% from what State Farm was charging me for the same coverage (now with Nationwide). I've found that insurance companies seem to screw loyal customers the most. Can one of you insurance guys "splain that? My guess is the number counters figured out that after some time has elapsed that you are averse to making any insurance company changes.

When having insurance is a law. (Car, health) then insurance companies should not be able to sponsor race cars, football stadiums, ball parks, etc. Why? Because when the big 1 hits, they become bankrupt real quick. Or they cancel policies, or even pull out of that area. The company I am currently with says I have to pay almost double because the new house we want to buy is considered coastal. I talked to 1 that said they cant write a policy within 50 miles of the coast.

When having insurance is a law. (Car, health) then insurance companies should not be able to sponsor race cars, football stadiums, ball parks, etc. Why? Because when the big 1 hits, they become bankrupt real quick. Or they cancel policies, or even pull out of that area. The company I am currently with says I have to pay almost double because the new house we want to buy is considered coastal. I talked to 1 that said they cant write a policy within 50 miles of the coast.
    You don't HAVE to pay anything on your coastal house. Pay cash for the house and self insure.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Anyone ever heard of reinsurance?

Anyone want to guess what a company like State Farm took in underwriting losses on just auto insurance last year?

Anyone know what insurance companies do with overages in earned premium?

If you’re worried about your company being financially stable in the event of a disaster you should check their AM Best rating... it’s a meter for their financial stability. Just as a rule of thumb though no standard company is going to write wind and hail within 50 miles of the coast... that’s how they remain financially stable over the years.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Farm bureau
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

So im shopping around for a new home owners policy. Since when do they ask about your dogs history with visitors or other behavior? And since when do they ask if you have guns in the house? Since when is that any of their business? If they would have asked about value of my guns, that would be 1 thing, but they didnt. They wanted to know if i had them locked up. WTH?
    Who placed your homeowner's insurance to begin with? Who has your auto insurance? Get some quotes from an independent guy who is able to quote multiple companies at once, then try out a few captives. Insurance companies' risk tolerances change yearly, so you may not be a good fit for a company one year, but may be exactly who they are trying to attract the next year.

Imagine an x- and y-axis. The y-axis represents first year premiums. The x-axis represents time. Even if you don't get the lowest rate to start out with(lower value on the x-axis), the rate of increase across the y-axis may rise quicker than a slightly higher value starting on the x-axis. This is due to an insurance company's financial strength.

I hope that made some sort of sense. I am on medicine, and a few beer don't help. But if you have any questions, I'll try to clarify in the morning.

Discounts(bundling auto/other lines of insurance), distance you typically drive, credit score, how many times you've switched insurance companies, claims, limits of liability you've traditionally carried, zip code, ago of household drivers... all of that matters.

The best thing to do is talk to Will Gaissert (843) 900-9369 and ask him some specific questions. A 15 minute conversation with him will teach the average person more about their insurance than they have probably ever learned.
    Last edited by Moonlight Hunter; 11-13-2018 at 08:22 PM.

South Carolina Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company: Financial Strength Rating

Effective Date Rating

4/25/2018 B+
    4/6/2017 B+
    4/8/2016 B+
    3/10/2015 B+
    2/21/2014 B++

Farm Bureau is a great company who takes care of their long time customers.

Some companies won't write an umbrella policy on top of Farm Bureau's offered liability limits because of their financial strength ratings.
    Last edited by Moonlight Hunter; 11-13-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Farm bureau
    Not advisable

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Anyone ever heard of reinsurance?

Anyone want to guess what a company like State Farm took in underwriting losses on just auto insurance last year?

Anyone know what insurance companies do with overages in earned premium?
    I know things about reinsurance
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I know things about reinsurance
    Yes you do, and your business has been good for a while now. I have an uncle you know.

Just don't be like Mayem.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"