Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tis the season

So you’re the dude that comes in and sets up 100yds away when I wake up 20 min before daylight

Just kiddin.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Bet that third guy was reeaaallly uncomfortable......
    This is gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    This is gold
    Mind out of the gutter boys
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

That time I slept in the boat it was 3 of us. It was cold as hell that night. Me and one of my buddies brought our sleeping bags. The other buddy did not. We had the blind up and 2 heaters going. My buddy who forgot his sleeping bad said after the hunt that he had never been that miserable before in his life. By morning he had cocooned himself I'm burlap and decoy bags. I'm surprised he didn't wake us up with his teeth chattering!

I've done it a bit too, more so back in highschool down on the coastal marshes. It sure was something to get there and lay down on the deck and see nothing but millions of stars up there. I've definitely had some bad times doing it too, 4 people in a 14ft skiff trying to sleep in pretty cold weather was never fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Tarp, heater, a couple lunchables, water, a thermos of coffee, thermacell if it’s warm and a Coca Cola
    Pepsi or Dr Pepper and Coleman stove and frying pan
    80-20 Genaration

Haven’t done it in a while, but wouldn’t hesitate to do it again if need be.
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

A few weeks ago I returned my old one fried egg sized cast iron frying pan that I had "borrowed" from my Mother for my duck boat back in the 80's. It served us well from Broad River to Cuckolds Creek in the days before Whisperlite became standard equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I've slept in the boat one time and will never do it again. I was startled awake about 3 times in the middle of the night by boats. When you wake up in the pitch black hearing a load boat full throttle and a bright light it's like a bad dream. You jump up all groggy trying to find the spotlight before the motha fucka slams into your boat! Never again!
    Yeah try being by yourself. All of a sudden you wake up to a train whistle and it’s beating down on you. You hop up and grab your spotlight but the fog is so thick you can’t see your hand. Then after a mild heart attack you fully wake up and realize youre still anchored and didn’t magically float up onto the tracks. Good times.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I always kept my lantern on the bow. And i tucked the rest of me up in some trees. You could sleep til 5 or so till you started hearing the boats heading in. We did it a bunch in college. Get out of class on fri and haul butt home to pick up boat and head to the lake. I had an old 14’ duracraft. Spent a many night sleeping in the bottom of that boat. Funny how you get better waders, nicer guns and newer boats but sometimes when you had the bare necessities and didnt have a clue what you were doing were some of the best memories
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Someone said earlier about people coming in right before shooting light. I do that all the time now. Fuck that sitting there for hours. I kill just as many ducks finding a spot away from the crowd before daylight. Especially when hunting bays. What's some bullshit is when some motha fukas don't shine you until you've got all your decoys out. I've had that happen numerous times. When I get to a spot I want to set up I shine my light in all directions, flash, etc for several minutes. Once I feel that I am alone I get set up. It's some
    Bs to see a light pop on right before shooting time that never shined me back before setting up.
    I have woken up on santee and had 5 guys 50 yards away from me that had no clue I was there....Didn’t even bother to tell them I was there Untill I opened up into a group of teal.

I too have slept in the boat a number of times, but it'll be a long time before I do that again. My 17yo nephew at the time talked me into it a couple years back and it was cold that night. I didn't sleep for crap and we didn't kill a single duck. We knew plenty of ducks were in the area but they wanted to be in the very back on the hole where our neighbors continued to bust em for hours.

Another time way back in the 90s when we had hydrilla me and a buddy set up prolly within 50 yards or so from a guy and had no clue he was even there until he shot right at first light. I hollered "where'd you come from?" He said "I've been here, my light in the tree musta went dead". It must have cause I swear I didn't see a light and I looked around hard. Figured he woulda spoke up while we were setting up but he didn't. Guess he was asleep cause I know woulda said something. So we wrapped up the hunt to go do some scouting after quickly killing a mallard and a few wood ducks. I felt bad for setting up on the guy but I swear I didn't see a light nor hear a noise that signaled someone was nearby.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-13-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I just don't think I'm that mad at em anymore....and I love to kill a duck
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
    I was not surprised at all...It absolutely Amazes me...
    :headscratch:
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

one Night I pulled up to a spot I like to hunt. It was dead low so I ran the boat up the mud flat and stabbed my pole in the mud, and threw the loop of my bow line around it like I normally do and went to sleep. About 5 hrs later I noticed the boat rocking and bumping against the bank. I jumped up al disoriented and shined my light. I had no idea where I was for a minute! Come to find out the tide had come up so high that my loop slipped off my pole. I had drifted about a mile up river and across on the other side! After that I always bring an anchor!
    867-5309

So did you go back to reclaim your spot?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    So did you go back to reclaim your spot?

Yes! Thankfully no one had pulled up! That would have iced the cake
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Yes! Thankfully no one had pulled up! That would have iced the cake
    Did you kill ducks?
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

I don't plan on sleeping in a boat again!

Quote Originally Posted by HEAD View Post
    Did you kill ducks?
    Think I only killed 4 that day
    867-5309