Thread: WMA Dog Hunts

Default WMA Dog Hunts

Anybody on here ever been on one? I have a chance to go on one but dont know anything about them. Anything I need to know that might save me some heartache? Any info is appreciated. Only thing I really know is that its in Francis Marion National Forrest and I need to go get a WMA permit.

Do you hav a sportsman’s license?

Any time I have been in FMNF on drive days it seems to be clubs running their dogs on public land more so than a “public” hunt.
    What kind of info are you looking for?
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 11-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.

I cannot imagine any form of hunting more inherently dangerous than a dog drive on public land in South Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I cannot imagine any form of hunting more inherently dangerous than a dog drive on public land in South Carolina.
    Man driving heads and shooting brown deer with cousins and uncle papas over the holidays..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by luckydogger View Post
    Anybody on here ever been on one? I have a chance to go on one but dont know anything about them. Anything I need to know that might save me some heartache? Any info is appreciated. Only thing I really know is that its in Francis Marion National Forrest and I need to go get a WMA permit.
    Wear plenty of orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor4 View Post
    Do you hav a sportsman’s license?
    Just the Hunting & Fishing Combo. With big game permit.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Any time I have been in FMNF on drive days it seems to be clubs running their dogs on public land more so than a “public” hunt.
    What kind of info are you looking for?
    It is a club I'm going with. They have an area they have drawn for a specific day is what I'm told. The kind of info I'm looking for is the "Damn I wish I had known that before I came here" kind of info. I'll try most anything once, but if someone told me some sort of horror story about the time they went I would probably not go. 10-4 on the lots of orange. That was the first thing that came to mind. If I am being told correct, we will be the only ones in the area we're hunting and I know most of the guys going.

Used to hunt out there as a kid. We used to hunt North Hampton, Santee, and Wambaw back when it alternated weekends between the units. I went to the Hellhole dog hunt one time and that's one I will not be returning to. Couldn't really tell you anything about any recent dog hunts out there though. Surely there are a bunch of yahoo's running wild.

Depends on who you are hunting with. I know groups that have been hunting the same place for years and do very well with deer and hogs.

Hide your kids and hide your wives, it's a rough crowd that runs the FM these days
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

I'm unaware of any "draw" areas for dog days in Francis Marion. That being said my experience is limited to going with guys that have hunted the same blocks for years and getting out there early to get your spot because it was/is first come first serve. Lots of orange and have fun.

NO ALCOHOL AT ALL- even for afterwards, the blond bitch game warden WILL search your truck for alcohol and confiscate it. If you walk down a marked trail of any kind( hiking, horses, motorcycle) better have the gun unloaded- the warden will wait in the woods until someone walks by and check your gun. Have fun- I killed lotsa deer on WMA dog drives

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbird View Post
    I'm unaware of any "draw" areas for dog days in Francis Marion. That being said my experience is limited to going with guys that have hunted the same blocks for years and getting out there early to get your spot because it was/is first come first serve. Lots of orange and have fun.
    Maybe it isn't a draw hunt. That's just how it sounded to me. These guys been hunting this spot for a few years anyway. I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydogger View Post
    Maybe it isn't a draw hunt. That's just how it sounded to me. These guys been hunting this spot for a few years anyway. I'll give it a shot.
    If it is in FMNF it is likely just a “dog day” where they designate different hunt units (areas) on different days throughout the season. I have never done it, but it looks like a semi organized event that is decided by whoever has the dogs normally. Last weekend was wambaw and they were out there running. If you know someone doing it, tag along with them would be my best bet. It seems like the same trucks year after year so I imagine they have it pretty well figured out. I have hubted hogs with dogs in fmnf and normally those w the dogs are orgsnizing.
    I sometimes sit on my property w a shotgun or have it sitting nearby on dog days hoping one comes through. Have had happen twice and both times no gun around. One was a nice buck that alllmost got tangled in a big hammock but ended up sliding under it at the last minute. I was about 30yds away burning yard trash trying to register what I had just seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some groups do very well. There is no drawn area as already mentioned. Depending on which unit there will be lots of hogs killed.

I went for a few years, but the last time I went the guy down from fired down on a couple does without looking to see where I was. Luckily I was on the other side of my truck taking a piss when buckshot went whizzing by except for the for pellets that hit my truck. I was not a happy camper to say the least.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I haven't read any recent news articles about people getting shot on dog drives in the FM so I assume they have been doing a decent job of not killing each other. Dog driving can certainly be more dangerous because it's hard to tell exactly where the next stander might be on a twisting trail and they are often placed close enough to be in range. Nonetheless, these old boys have been at it for as long as I can remember and they keep coming back. I'd do it.

I think our modern sensibilities have been molded by the gun hating/fearing crowd. Everyone is scared of the "crazies" or unskilled gun owners that are assumed to be around every corner. It's easier to pass gun right restricting laws when there is some villain out there. When none are available, its pretty easy to invent one or magnify the chance that someone will do something stupid with a gun. If you trust in statistics, you can calm your fears about most "dangerous" activities by just asking yourself when you ever heard of someone actually getting hurt and what are your chances of it ever being you. Just go and if anything looks spooky, bug out. I bet you'll have a good time.