Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear waders while riding in the boat

Default Do you wear waders while riding in the boat

Do you wear your waders while riding in the boat or do you wait until you get where you are going to put them on?

I read where 3 duck hunters and a dog capsized on the Miss yesterday. 2 guys and the dog made it back. People are theorizing that wearing waders and suddenly finding yourself swimming for your life is deadly...

I don't know about swimming for your life but in general neoprene helps you float. Never felt like mine were dragging me down. Would be awful to leave man behind, can't imagine.

That’s one thing Robbie and I promised daddy we wouldn’t ever do..

Wear life jackets and not waders in the boat..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I don't know about swimming for your life but in general neoprene helps you float. Never felt like mine were dragging me down. Would be awful to leave man behind, can't imagine.
    When they fill up with water not sure you’re going to float.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    When they fill up with water not sure you’re going to float.
    Why not?

I have worn them a lot in the boat. Have heard also that knee boots are tough to swim in as well.

I try to wear at least an inflatable jacket when the water is cold.

Wet suits float you and the have water in them as well.

I think the biggest factor is water temp and velocity.
    Last edited by scdiver; 11-11-2018 at 09:32 AM.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Yes, with a life jacket.

Yes. I wear them a.) bc I just don’t want to change boots and all that and have extra stuff in the boat and B.) you never know when you’re going to have to jump out of the boat to push yourself off a stump or a mud flat or whatever it is.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Neoprene has a lower density than water, therefore it floats. It always floats, being full of water has nothing to do with it. The neoprene will still provide the same amount of bouyancey. It's just physics.

However, neoprene waders reduce motion in your legs and feet making strokes less efficient. If your jacket is under the waders then the front of them will be acting like a drift sock making it that much harder. That means it takes you longer to get back to the boat or to land giving hypothermia more time to shut your muscles/body down. That could be the difference in life and death but the waders aren't going to suck you under.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yes, I wear them and an inflatable PFD. The PFD is to make easy to find my body. When we finally have ducks in late Jan, I probably won't make it to shore in time and hypothermia kills me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

I wear waders in the boat. Neoprene waders will float you especially while wearing a life jacket. Canvas, rubber, frogg togg waders would be a different story without a life jacket.

Regarding the capsize situation, those fellas had zero business being on the river in a mud boat. 35 mph NE winds made for an extremely dangerous river run. Multiple boats went down yesterday and many chose wisely to stay back at the launch. Hunters saw aerial flares shot over the river and there was nothing they could do to get to get to the boats in distress.....................ain't no duck worth losing your life over.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dbenn454 View Post
    Neoprene has a lower density than water, therefore it floats. It always floats, being full of water has nothing to do with it. The neoprene will still provide the same amount of bouyancey. It's just physics.

However, neoprene waders reduce motion in your legs and feet making strokes less efficient. If your jacket is under the waders then the front of them will be acting like a drift sock making it that much harder. That means it takes you longer to get back to the boat or to land giving hypothermia more time to shut your muscles/body down. That could be the difference in life and death but the waders aren't going to suck you under.

This. Well said sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t like freezing my ass off I wear a life jacket and my neoprene waders riding in the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by dbenn454 View Post

This.

I could see air getting trapped at your feet and trying to flip you upside down, especially without a pdf on.

I wear a life jacket. I stepped off a ledge with my banded breathables on and sunk like a brick. Ever since then I’ll wear my life jacket even while I’m retrieving a bird or picking up decoys.
    867-5309

I've sank my waders plenty of times in deep swamps by either stepping in a hole or tripping over something. Just trying to get back upright is enough of a challenge. Trying to swim any distance would be some kind of difficult.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-11-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I wear a life jacket. I stepped off a ledge with my banded breathables on and sunk like a brick. Ever since then I’ll wear my life jacket even while I’m retrieving a bird or picking up decoys.
    I could see where breathables could be a big problem.

Yep