Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you wear waders while riding in the boat

For real. Water makes you heavier in water and you'll sink because water inside waders weighs more than water outside waders.

Yup. Waders and pfd. Had a close call some years ago and don't ride in the boat without a life vest.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I’ll wear my waders riding but only with my float coat on.
    For the ducks

Neoprenes help with floatation and warmth. Any other waders are trouble.

Shells in pockets are not helpful while riding. Life jackets are a must.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    This.

I could see air getting trapped at your feet and trying to flip you upside down, especially without a pdf on.
    Taking Acrobat into the swamp ain't gonna do shit for you.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Breathable waders will kill you. If you don't drown, hypothermia will get you.

I reckon those of us who wore rubber and canvass waders didn't stand a chance back then. We lost a lot of good men while going after those wiley waterfowl. Oh wait, no we didn't. We wore what we had and went anyway...

Yes, neoprenes with a wader belt and a life jacket.
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Breathable waders will kill you. If you don't drown, hypothermia will get you.
    Serious question as I've used breathables for the last 8 years. Will neoprene keep you warm when your waders are full of 40 degree water?

Years back I didn't wear them. I had a suit that I threw on for long boat rides, and I had a life jacket strapped to my waist or leg. Those were canvas waders though.. I'll tell you when I got my first set of heavy neoprene waders it was life changing. Not neoprene gloves, those things are silly, at least my first and only pair was.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 11-12-2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: were

Neoprene waders and a float coat for me every time. Had a buddy sink his boat by himself several years ago on Lynches River near Friendfield. I don't think he would've made it if he had not had his waders on. It was cold, sleeting rain, and the water was high and moving pretty good. He had to swim 2 legs of the river but made it (about 100-150 yards). Now when we finally got to him, he was on the ground and couldn't hardly move, but he was alive. Without the waders, I think hypothermia would have got him. once we got his waders off, he was relatively dry. Of course he has since bought a float coat and he also wears it along with his waders when in the boat.
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Serious question as I've used breathables for the last 8 years. Will neoprene keep you warm when your waders are full of 40 degree water?
    Within reason. Wet suits are made of neoprene......

Hell yeah i wear my waders. Hell with changing in a boat full of water mud and whatever else from a mornings hunt. I do wear an auto inflatable pfd with kill switch attached though 100% while moving and definitely recommend everyone to. They arent cheap but they are a lot nicer and less bulky than a standard pfd which makes it a lot less of a hassle to put on and wear.

I think no, neoprene waders would not keep you warm when full of water. With the movement of your body you will constantly be circulating fresh cold water through your waders. Wet suits on the other hand are tight and hold the same water against your body, the idea being you warm up the water inside your wet suit and it aids in insulation.

I hardly hunt water where I am over 40 yards from a bank, Waders stay in 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    I do wear an auto inflatable pfd with kill switch attached though 100% while moving and definitely recommend everyone to.

The leash/kill switch is mandatory for me.
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

Yep. With a life jacket. Got tossed out the boat years ago in the Cooper river with waders and no life jacket. Thankfully, got back in the boat before I had much issue with the waders. Damn we kilt a bunch of wigeons in the late 80’s early 90’s. Good times. Always wear my life jacket running in the dark these days.