Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty good one

Default Pretty good one

Took this one sat at abt 250yds. Thought it was a different deer. Either way, my first 10pt so I am pretty happy about it. Would’ve let this deer walk if place wasn’t selling (also assuming that I didnt mistake it for another 10 on cam from another spot that I have been looking for). Hunted Tues-Sun and had a ton of activity. Passed a possibly older, pretty good 8 that was heavier several times as well as some other smaller bucks and tons of does. Took this one hunting a plot that is ~75’-300yds along a creek bottom. Corn pile at 100yds or so and he came out the very end straight on of course. He just stood there looking down the plot for several minutes. I didnt want to take that shot if I didnt have to so I waited a minute to see if he would close the gap. I knew the slower he moved the more worked up I would be getting. He closed about 25yds focused on 8 does on pile but then turned broadside and walked to edge of plot. He was either about to walk out of sight or mess with a scrape and I couldn’t take a chance of him disappearing. Took my shot, a little rushed with his head/neck already out of view. Saw his tail go up and he trotted out. Was not sure if I hit him. Waited a few minutes And went down to where I thought he was, no blood. Panned around and out bc I had good daylight and saw nothing. Beating myself up over rushing a shot on a 10pt, I returned to where I thought he was when I fired and moved about 10’. Quarter sized drop of blood led to a trail of drops and he was laid up about 40yds. Took out the top of his heart. Best weather all year by far and a pretty exciting hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Would have been a hammer next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jscrapmetal View Post
    Nice. Would have been a hammer next year.
    Agreed

Pretty buck!

Nice buck. I would have taken him you let those walk you might as well sit on the couch.

Nice buck Brandon!
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Good job.

Nice buck. Really nice rifle.

Nice WTBD! What's the specs on the rifle and what are you shooting out of it?

Thanks guys!

Well done.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Nice WTBD! What's the specs on the rifle and what are you shooting out of it?
    I aint kno.

I bought the rifle used and set the way it is because I knew the previous owner pretty well and he likes firearms that perform well. I was describing to him what I was considering and he had basically what I was looking for sitting in a safe.
    .308 win rem 7005R tac 24” fluted/threaded barrel, 1/11 twist 1/4”. Shooting 165grn hornady SST for the most part but have a few boxes of some handloads as well that I did not load and would have to read the specs off the box. I am shooting very tight groups at 200 with ease but want to go somewhere where I can get out further and will in the near future. Previous owner was shooting 10” plate at 800yds w same setup.
    I think a macmillan stock(bedded) and wyatts mag/magwell. Stock is pretty beefy. Not sure what the trigger is other than its pretty sensitive and I LIKE IT. Some aftermarket bolt handle and scope is vortex razor HD-LH.
    Pretty happy with the overall setup and was looking for a multipurpose rifle.
    If I could change anything right now it would be to get rid of the extended mag feature bc it sucks to rest on stuff when hunting from various locations/positions and if you have it slung over your shoulder it wants to dig in your back unless situated right. Aside from that it would maybe be the scope bc the reticles are pretty fine in low light but good glass and way better than previous setup I had. I also prefer a different safety setup bc I feel like this one is too easy to accidentally hit to “off” but just have to be mindful. A shorter bull barrel is also way easier to get out the truck or around deer stand frames!

Nice
    There's a fine line between HARDCORE AND IGNORANCE!

Default Pretty good one

Gettin er dun in jeans of all things. I think the white SUV was way more noticeable than the jeans and grey shirt but still had time to get one off.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 11-07-2018 at 07:52 PM.

nice work

Is that Butterfield?

Good deer, sir. Congrats.

Dang nice deer

Good job bud. I reckon all those 200 yd off the side of the truck practice shots paid off.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."