Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about buying a new rifle...

order a Stiller or Surgeon action, Barrel of your choice, stock of your choice, trigger of your choice. Take it all to Griffin and have him put it together.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Steve Roe Apache Machine and Custom Winston Salem, NC. Absolute perfection and one of the best rifle builders in the country. I have a couple of his rifles and they will shoot with anything out there.

Grey Sloan Swift Creek Rifles Raleigh, NC Fantastic work, studied under Robert Gradious. I have several friends shooting his rifles.

Jamie Ogburn OCD Tactical Darlington, SC Really good work done fast and economically. A friend and fellow competitor. Just built me a 224 Valkyrie barrel on a Bartlein blank that’s a tack driver.
    Good to know about OCD in Darlington, nice and convenient for me. Will send him some work!

What is Griffin's contact info please?

send him a PM.

Run down to the store and buy a Tikka Superlite in .270 and go on a critter killin spree

There is an Al Biesen 7 MM Mag for sale at Cabelas in Greenville, a couple os nice Sakos, one is a Finnbear , very nice shape.

Al built guns for JOC.

For once i agree with ECU get a Tikka off the shelf, put good Euro glass on it and it will shoot great.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    Okay, since you put it that way, I own or have shot about all of them.......

Go buy you a nice factory Savage, put some Talley mounts on it with some quality optics, and get you some Hornady Performance ammo and go hunting....Save you some serious bucks ............ Seriously.

Spending mega bucks on a custom over a factory Savage, or at most a lightly tuned one, will gain you almost nothing in a hunting rifle.

1000 yd competition might be different.
    Barrel nuts are hideous and no one likes a sloppy bolt. At least have some self respect and buy a tikka or something

No one needs a beretta or benelli to kill ducks either. You don’t gain anything over a mossberg 500 if the shooter skill is there. But somehow that’s what the vast majority of people on here own. You don’t need power windows on a car or truck but I bet 99% of ya here have them. Some people just want nice shit and there is something to be said for a confidence factor. I have absolutely had to shoot a customers gun to show them what it’s capable of and once they saw it they were able to work on their abilities without doubting the weapon.
    For the record no one needs a custom gun. I spent years shooting mostly factory m24s and m14s with shitty BC bullets and was able to bang steel and other targets well past 1000 yards. Long range and precision shooting are way over thought by most people but hey some people just want nice shit they don’t have to worry about.

As for Gunwerks. I don’t think they are overpriced. They deliver a complete package with any and all guess work removed. It’s perfect for someone who has more money than time or someone who values their time at a high rate. I’ve seen demonstrations where someone unboxes their gun at a range. Loads the provided ammo into the gun and has first round impact at 1200 yards. If you have ever peiced together any gun, even a factory one, gone through selecting an optic, rings, bore sighted, zeroed, load development, and dope then you understand that it’s a long damn process!
    It’s a very specific niche market and they fill it perfectly. They are made in America by some of the best people you will ever meet. I wouldn’t buy one because I enjoy doing it myself but I totally get why some people do and for what they get the price is fair
    There is something to be
    Last edited by Griffin; 11-11-2018 at 08:45 AM.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Thanks, Griffin. That's the kind of analysis I was looking for. I'm planning a couple of trips out west next year. Personally, i would never take a shot over 400 yards. But, I want a rifle capable of more. Any thoughts on Jarrett?

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Thanks, Griffin. That's the kind of analysis I was looking for. I'm planning a couple of trips out west next year. Personally, i would never take a shot over 400 yards. But, I want a rifle capable of more. Any thoughts on Jarrett?
    Griffin hasn't responded yet so I will jump in. Kenny and Jay are good people, no doubt. They make a great rifle. The question that I would ask is what are you really wanting to buy? If it is a high performance boutique gun, have at it. There is no shame in that. It is your hard earned money. There are lot's of choices out there. If, however, you are looking for long range repeatable accuracy, you don't have to spend a ton of money, but you do need to know what you are looking for. For example a M700 clone, minimum tolerance custom action will probably run $600-1K. A Bartlein barrel is around $350ish. A good stock is around $400. A Calvin Elite or Jewell trigger is probably about $250, and a Maker to put it together for you is around $400-500. Not sure what bottom metal cost these days.

Another option is to simply rebarrel a factory Model 700 and pillar bed it, or better yet buy a quality factory rifle. One thing that you WILL need to do, if you haven't done so yet is to learn how to handload. You probably know this but some may not, but you can buy the most expensive precision rifle out there and if you just feed it factory ammo, you might not see much better accuracy that you will with a $400 Savage. Sure the custom rifle may have more accuracy potential than the Savage, but (with few exceptions) you won't see it unless you handload. Handloading allows you to find a load that works well repeatably in YOUR rifle. And another thing.....finding a load that shoots well at 100 yards does NOT necessarily correspond to one that shoots well at 500 yards. It is just a place to start. I can't tell you how many times I have found several loads that shot equally well at 100 yards, only to find just one would do the deed at 500.

These are but a few thoughts about the rifle. Caliber, optics and learning to read conditions are other topics worthy of much discussion. In short, don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket. Take your time and figure out what you want. If it were me, for my first indulgence, I would not spend a lot of money, because as you learn more you will figure out what works for your particular needs, and it will probably be different that what you originally thought.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 11-13-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I've been reloading rifles for 45 years, not an issue. I just wanted an opinion on Jarrett rifles. Thanks.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Jarrett makes their own barrels and some of their actions. Top notch work and they stand behind it. Stop by for a visit and tour. You will enjoy.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Jay is in Africa and won't be back until late tomorrow. Shoot me a pm and I will try to set up something for you. I highly recommend getting Jay to show you around the gun shop and checking out Kenny's trophy room/museum.

Joe Collier makes a damn fine rifle as well.

Just because something is unneeded doesn't mean you shouldn't have it. Sometimes it's about style..

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Just because something is unneeded doesn't mean you shouldn't have it. Sometimes it's about style..
    Yeah, your Yeti looks kinda stupid with a Savage sitting on top.

Thanks everybody. I wish I had the time to tinker and build something, but time is a very precious commodity to me. Maybe one day. I've always wanted a Jarrett. I might just have to pull the trigger.

Pull it.

Pull it
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?