Thread: E collar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default E collar

I have a Brittany pup, 10 months that had to have surgery @ 16 weeks. Spent 7 weeks in crate so we lost our best training time. Just went through obedience training and did OK but still afraid to let him loose.

Can you recommend a E Collar that will give me some range. Need to do something I want to get him off leash. I guess the biggest problem is me, Fear he will not come back. prob would but I need somewhere I can let him run. Yard is not fenced
    Bluetick

I think the "come" command is better taught with a check cord than a training collar.

Teach with the check cord and then condition/reinforce with the collar. Dogtra. I would recommend the ARC.

If he's not coming when called, you're not "through" obedience. I hate to be that guy, but you need to dial it in. The ecollar is not the fix.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I think the "come" command is better taught with a check cord than a training collar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    Teach with the check cord and then condition/reinforce with the collar. Dogtra. I would recommend the ARC.
    Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    If he's not coming when called, you're not "through" obedience. I hate to be that guy, but you need to dial it in. The ecollar is not the fix.
    You've gotten some great advice above, and MolliesMaster's here hits it on the head.

Your dog is NOT done with obedience if you can't count on his doing what he's told when he's off-leash. Believe it, whether you want to or not. The ecollar should ONLY be used to REINFORCE THE OBEDIENCE AND BEHAVIOR THAT THE DOG ALREADY KNOWS. It's NOT to be used to teach him obedience.

Not trying to be critical here, but, believe us that you need more training for yourself, first, and then your dog needs a lot more, before you can make the next step. Believe me, the extra time and effort now will pay off tenfold in the future years of having a trained dog that you can count on... on leash and off.

Good luck to you and your dog making great progress.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Are you worried about him running away off leash like the dog in Funny Farm and just not coming back?

My Dad's golden retriever is like that, even after obedience training, and having a dog that does that for 10+ years isn't worth having, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Are you worried about him running away off leash like the dog in Funny Farm and just not coming back?

My Dad's golden retriever is like that, even after obedience training, and having a dog that does that for 10+ years isn't worth having, imo.
    Yep your opinion. Not worth much
    Bluetick

Quote Originally Posted by bluetick1955 View Post
    Yep your opinion. Not worth much
    Well, if you want to have a dog that you can't take outside without it being on leash, have at it. It's not for me.

Good luck, and I hope your dog has a full recovery.

I call BS on you losing the best training time when your pup wasn’t even 6 months old, listen to the above comments. At the very least get yourself some good training literature and read, get more and read more. Find someone or a group you can train with, you and your dog is not ready for a collar yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I call BS on you losing the best training time when your pup wasn’t even 6 months old, listen to the above comments. At the very least get yourself some good training literature and read, get more and read more. Find someone or a group you can train with, you and your dog is not ready for a collar yet.
    Was 8 month when we could. He wasn't allowed to walk around house. $3,000 worth of knee surgery. Just finished 6 weeks training
    Bluetick

Thanks WoodieSC. I know he needs more. Just scared to death. If he ran away I would have to bury my wife. He jumped out of truck and his pinch collar seperated in Cades Cove and came back. New empty nesters so just chicken. I can't find a fenced area to work with him. I have 8½ acres but not fencing. Maybe I'll just give it a try. He just gets so excited when he goes out
    Bluetick

Thanks WoodieSC. I know he needs more. Just scared to death. If he ran away I would have to bury my wife. He jumped out of truck and his pinch collar seperated in Cades Cove and came back. New empty nesters so just chicken. I can't find a fenced area to work with him. I have 8½ acres but not fencing. Maybe I'll just give it a try. He just gets so excited when he goes out
    Put him on a long check cord or tie out for a while before you start working with him to burn off some of that energy and “newness” of being outside for the day.

When training obedience I used a lot of food items for positive reinforcements, as being a spaniel he could care less about just pleasing me. I struggle to peel my dog away from me when he knows I have food on me.

You need to find a documented training program and follow it, and listen to these guys above.

At this point of your dog's training it really should be all obedience, unless you are doing a couple of fun retrieves each day, and it should ALL be on a long check cord (rope, cotton web leash, etc, 25'-30' long).

NEVER give him a chance to run off, jump out of the truck, or run out of the door, etc. If you do, I'd lay bets that sooner or later you'll be burying him after a run-in with a vehicle.

If you haven't yet been to a formal obedience class, find one and get signed up. Unless you're a very experienced trainer, you'll quickly find that the rule of thumb is that "... 90% of obedience training is for the trainer and 10% is for the dog", and it's pretty much true, and everyone can use a refresher.

The Smartworks program by Evan Graham is a good one, but it's primarily for retrievers (I think) and there may be better ones for spaniels that I'm not familiar with that one of the guys here can point you too.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-07-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    You need to find a documented training program and follow it, and listen to these guys above.

At this point of your dog's training it really should be all obedience, unless you are doing a couple of fun retrieves each day, and it should ALL be on a long check cord (rope, cotton web leash, etc, 25'-30' long).

NEVER give him a chance to run off, jump out of the truck, or run out of the door, etc. If you do, I'd lay bets that sooner or later you'll be burying him after a run-in with a vehicle.

If you haven't yet been to a formal obedience class, find one and get signed up. Unless you're a very experienced trainer, you'll quickly find that the rule of thumb is that "... 90% of obedience training is for the trainer and 10% is for the dog", and it's pretty much true, and everyone can use a refresher.

The Smartworks program by Evan Graham is a good one, but it's primarily for retrievers (I think) and there may be better ones for spaniels that I'm not familiar with that one of the guys here can point you too.
    He didn't JUMP out of truck. Was letting him out to pee. he actually broke leash yestrday and came to my Grandson. Think he will be OK just high anxiety on my part because we lost 8 weeks. He just finished formal obedience training. WE've had so much going on not a lot of time to work with him. Son gets married the 17th and hopefully things will slow a little.
    Bluetick

I understand the anxiety. My wife has fallen off the deep end for our newest pup and if the pup doesn't come immediately when I call her at the farm, I go into panic mode pretty quickly. Luckily, my older dog understands when I tell him to fetch her and he goes and finds her. She doesn't go far but she's small enough for a coyote to snatch. It's hard to give them the room to become independent, just like when your children move out.

I don't give a dog the opportunity to get under a car tire until I have complete trust that they will respond immediately to commands. Even then, I wouldn't take my best trained dogs anywhere near a busy road without a leash. Even the most solid dog could bust to chase an unexpected cat, squirrel or coon crossing a nearby road. Cars kill a lot of dogs.

You mentioned a pinch collar. They are fantastic for teaching a dog to heal and not strain at the leash. I've heard them called "power steering collars". They are great tools but I would advise taking it off in almost any other situation. Same goes especially for choke collars. There are abundant stories of dogs hanging themselves with choke collars. A 1" flat collar with a name tag with my cell phone is what my dogs wear always and I add special purpose collars for the situation. Their flat collar is just loose enough to slip tightly over their head with reasonable effort. Please microchip your dog! Collars slip off or can be removed. Microchips may be the only way to prove ownership of a stolen or lost dog.

Brittanys are people dogs and they bond closely to their handlers. It won't take long before you and the dog are finishing each other's sentences. I doubt you'd get your money's worth out of a shock collar before the dog is reading your mind and doing what you want before you open your mouth.

He's my buddy. Just ALOT of puppy.
    I promise, back in the day I would have never spent that kind of money on a dog. His grandfather supposedly won 31 field trials so good stock
    Last edited by bluetick1955; 11-08-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    Bluetick

Get you one of these and your wife will never kill you!

https://www.whistle.com/?utm_source=...hoC4hIQAvD_BwE

I have them on both my dogs and love it!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

back to your original question before you were hi-jacked about your dog training skills.......Tri-tronics makes a good collar for the $$, G3 sport
    student and child prodigy of the "Professor's" duckology!

Dogtra for my vote. ARC at the minimum.

i use a garmin sport pro and like it and haven't had any issues with it