Thread: Action camera

Default Action camera

Looking for a reasonablly priced action camera. Will primarily be used on a bow or shotgun. I have an older go pro, but it makes everything seem so far away, and would like something with a little zoom. Any suggestions? Thanks .

I am interested to hear the responses. My son really wants one for Christmas and I have no idea where to start. Tactacam, gopro, etc. ???? Any help is appreciated.

I am intrigued by the Tactacam models. If money was not a concern I would look more closely at getting a Shotkam.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

??? Anymore info on these if people have them? Pros cons etc.

GoPro is probably not the way to go. I like the shotkam but I believe they're around $700? They do take some pretty good video though

If you want zoom then you don't want action cams... Gopros are by far best bang for buck. Newest model has unreal image stabilization. If you don't want the fish eye effect you turn that off. If you want it "zoomed in" you have to go in setting and a set it to "medium" or "narrow". Filming in wide or superview is pointless for distant objects.

I have the tactacam 4.0 mounted to my bow and I like it so far but I haven't tried it on a gun yet. GoPros suck for hunting, you can't hardly see a deer at 20 yards.

Defiantly not a go pro. Shotkam is more of a shooting aid than an action cam. Tacticam would be my choice.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 11-06-2018 at 07:05 PM.

As B.T. stated. Newer GoPro has medium fov setting that is much better than the old ones and pretty solid for bow or shotgun shots.
    Last edited by CUTigerRY; 11-06-2018 at 09:19 PM.

action cams are not meant to film hunts as a primary camera. They are point of view cameras. They provide different angles and different perspectives. That being said, if you have the right settings on the gopro, it can be good enough, for an action cam video. I run a dslr and a pro grade handy cam. The difference is night and day from regular cameras to action cameras.