Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should spinning wing decoys be banned nationally?

Assuming that is the same link that Duckman posted from 2005, Doesn't it more or less say that the ducks we are killing with Mojos are ADULT and not juvies, as opposed to the opposite in northern states?

I think that studies of ducks taken over mechanical or regular decoys would pretty much bear out the same as well. Young dumb ducks dying first. Hardly earth shattering information.

Why, other than the aggravating noisy nuisance that they are, do we want them outlawed again?

There are plenty of identifiable hunting tactics that cause thousands of times more ducks to be killed than mojos each year. Those tactics are being refined and used in areas now that even 10 years ago were unheard of and they are negatively affecting the migration to Southern states. What was once an Atlantic Flyway problem is now turning out to be a north/South issue as people realize that not only is it not so expensive to overwinter large numbers of migratory waterfowl, the US Government will pay for a large percentage of it even on private property. Spinners are not even a minor factor in what is at play...

Motorized SWD or all together? The rubber band ones too?

I'm not sure where the ducks are going.

you could focus on decreasing mallard limits in canada but that would be a whole different paper

The continental harvest of Mallards during the last several years increased considerably compared to the late 1980s and early 1990s (Table 4), reflecting the large growth in this population. This increase in harvest has occurred entirely in the U.S., whereas harvest levels have stabilized in Canada. In 2012, it was estimated that 3.96 million Mallards were killed in the U.S., 11% less than the previous year (4.17 million). In 2012 in Canada, the estimated harvest was 528 334 birds killed, a decrease of 4% from 2011 (509 889). Overall, the continental harvest of Mallards in 2012 decreased to 4.46 million birds, 10% less than the previous year (Table 4).

https://ec.gc.ca/rcom-mbhr/default.a...n&n=B2A654BC-1

I think all of you should take up year round golf and give me your gear and hunting spots.

Problem solved.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

So, DirtyDog, I would make the case that allowing or disallowing spinning-winged decoys is a binary tool, along with the extended season parameter, for the management of waterfowl under the adaptive management plan along with the more discrete tools of season length, daily bag limits and internal bag limits. See Table 1 on the 2019 Adaptive Harvest Management Plan here-> https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/p...Report2019.pdf

Or, as an alternative, you can make the case that spinning-winged decoys, along with lower bag limits are a way of better distributing opportunity among hunters of disparate levels of skill and/or premium property access.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.