Thread: Hunt Test H Cooper Black 11/10 and 11/11

Default Hunt Test H Cooper Black 11/10 and 11/11

Anybody running a dog this weekend?

Will be my first time attending/running a dog in a hunt test. Got high hopes for it. No reason the dog shouldn't pass as long as I don't do anything stupid.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Bay Creek should have some dogs in it since it is in their backyard.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Duck season opens up in NC this weekend so I will not be there.

Wish I could!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Bump.

Be there bright and early tomorrow morning.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was it? Been 8-10yrs since I have been up that way.

I'm sure lots of speeding tickets were issued.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Grace got her first Junior pass Saturday.

Dad life guilt took over on Sunday and I stayed home. The idea of being gone all week at work and then all weekend with the dog just wasn’t sitting right. So we stayed home, made momma pancakes and took naps with the little girl.

Testing was fun, hectic but fun. Met some nice people. We will be back to finish up junior then on to upland testing.

nice work and nothing wrong with staying home with your kid.

Nice work!

It is aggravating how it can eat an entire weekend to run your dog for a total of 5-10 minutes which is why I quit going. Also, wasn’t a huge fan of not having any idea what kind of jackass would be setting up the test until you got there and I had problems with people who don’t hunt deciding how hunt tests operate. One test in particular that I attended had something like a 75% fail rate on the junior level dogs. I passed, but had to handle my 1.5yo dog through a ridiculous amount of submerged/downed timber and vegetation in order to make the retrieve. People were NOT happy that day with the club. They had essentially wasted their time and money showing up for a test that was designed to fail dogs.

I did enjoy watching the Master level dogs but it just got old making the haul up there for a weekend to largely sit around and do nothing. I have no problem recreating “tests” on my own and just lost interest with the clubs.

Towards the end they (palmetto retriever club) started running the junior land and water series at the same time and that was nice, especially on Sundays. Get your run in and done and hit the road.

Good luck with all of it and I hope yall have fun all along the way.

Islandguy, you aren't lying. 8am-4pm to make 4 retrieves is maddening. We could have been done by noon if not for the pro's there having dogs in every level of the test. I know they are trying to get it all done but it was a little frustrating waiting around for them to show up and run 4-5 dogs back to back.

We will finish junior for retrieving, just to have done it. After that, I am heading over to the upland side of things.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 11-12-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Nice work!

It is aggravating how it can eat an entire weekend to run your dog for a total of 5-10 minutes which is why I quit going. Also, wasn’t a huge fan of not having any idea what kind of jackass would be setting up the test until you got there and I had problems with people who don’t hunt deciding how hunt tests operate. One test in particular that I attended had something like a 75% fail rate on the junior level dogs. I passed, but had to handle my 1.5yo dog through a ridiculous amount of submerged/downed timber and vegetation in order to make the retrieve. People were NOT happy that day with the club. They had essentially wasted their time and money showing up for a test that was designed to fail dogs.

I did enjoy watching the Master level dogs but it just got old making the haul up there for a weekend to largely sit around and do nothing. I have no problem recreating “tests” on my own and just lost interest with the clubs.

Towards the end they (palmetto retriever club) started running the junior land and water series at the same time and that was nice, especially on Sundays. Get your run in and done and hit the road.

Good luck with all of it and I hope yall have fun all along the way.

Part of the reason I’m an HRC guy. It’s not all about the Pro’s. We always take the grill and have a group of 10-15 of us that tailgate. Good time a pass time
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Islandguy, you aren't lying. 8am-4pm to make 4 retrieves is maddening. We could have been done by noon if not for the pro's their having dogs in every level of the test. I know they are trying to get it all done but it was a little frustrating waiting around for them to show up and run 4-5 dogs back to back.

We will finish junior for retrieving, just to have done it. After that, I am heading over to the upland side of things.
    I feel your pain for sure. Like you said, they are just trying to get it done as well but doesn’t make it any more fun for you to sit and wait on it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Part of the reason I’m an HRC guy. It’s not all about the Pro’s. We always take the grill and have a group of 10-15 of us that tailgate. Good time a pass time
    I considered HRC for a bit but I mostly felt like I just didn’t need the tests in general for my purposes. At the time, I was younger, working in vet clinics, and my dog was with me 24hrs a day. I was interested in breeding him but never did and basically decided I would rather hunt or just go throw a bumper in the woods vs spend the time, energy, and money on the tests. Im not knocking them at all, I just decided they weren’t for me although I LOVE working dogs.

I also had more free time to hunt/scout than I do now so it made sense for me to have a dog. I am so busy now that I don’t have time for a dog (mine is 14 and enjoying retirement), dog training, or the space at home right now for a pup. I would like to move in 8 years or so and buy somewhere that I can build a small kennel and have 5-6 runs. Then I will be back at it again. Would like to have a lab, a couple upland dogs, a teckel, and maybe a malinois just to round out the pack.