Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HVAC Question.....

We replaced our entire system including ductwork back in March. We took out a 20 year old Goodman gas pack because the heat exchanger was toast. Existing duct system was an abomination. This one unit served both upstairs and down. That is never good.

I decided to go back with a Trane Dual Fuel package unit to serve the downstairs main floor. I have it set where it changes over from heat pump to natural gas heat once the outdoor temperature drops to 35 degrees. It is great. For the upstairs, I put in a Mitsubishi heat pump with a back up electric strip heater. This is a single zone system with a convertible ducted air handler. We are very happy with both systems. Comfortable, quiet, and my utility bills are lower.

If you rarely see winter temps below 30, I would go all electric heat pump versus the dual fuel units.

I bought a packaged heat pump, LP gas packs. The new 200..00 thermostat can control at what temp I choose to burn gas. I bought it online, delivered to my driveway.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Someone chime in for me ... I close on a duplex in early September. Right now both units are using a single HVAC system. Plan is to keep the upstairs unit on the existing HVAC, and place a mini split system in the lower unit. Downstairs unit is roughly 1,000 sqft, maybe a touch smaller. I'm thinking a dual zone mini split AC and heat will handle what I'm looking to do.

Any brands to stay away from? Any lower priced systems that are actually worth it, or should I stay away from all of those? Not looking to be cheap, but also not wanting top of the line since it will be a rental. There are a ton of options on Amazon.
    If I read your post right the problem your going to run into is if you keep the existing system just for the upstairs it will be oversized and short cycle. Also it won't have enough run time to dehumidify.
    Non Supporting Member