Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HVAC Question.....

Default HVAC Question.....

So, we're in the middle of a remodel. (Old family house, built in the 20's). Currently has a split A/C unit and gas furnace that's around 25 years old. The furnace is acting up so I'm going to go ahead and replace them both along with all the ductwork.

Option 1: Split AC & gas heat pump

Option 2: Split AC & gas furnace

Option 3: Package unit AC & gas heat pump

Options 1 and 2 are within $200 of each other, the package unit is about $700 more

Thoughts? Opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Split gives you more options I believe and you can replace the air handler separate if something ever goes wrong.

Edit...and I'd go heat pump.

Window units.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Package unit all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Window units.
    "Multi zone central heat and AC"
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Once we build a house I will go with two packaged units to avoid the copper line sets and I can start up/service them.

HVAC Direct . com - Good friend used them for a 2.5 ton gas pack(Goodman) for his house. Grandmother used local HVAC shop for an equal sized unit(Payne) 2 months before that, about $4k difference in total price. $2.5k extra for the unit per the invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Split gives you more options I believe and you can replace the air handler separate if something ever goes wrong.

YOu have more problems out of split due to the line sets and soldering being done by humans versus factory welds

Package Units in the AC and Gas Furnace configuration.

Better efficiency than a heat pump.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Heat pump whether split or package. Package unit helps keep everything inside so if a drain pan overflows it is outside and a bit easier to work on so it is all in one place.. 410A gives out really good heat without auxiliary. It is not like 22 were the air feels cool to the touch.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

I've got both now and have had both in the past. Never had a lick of trouble out of either of my splits but both of my package units have been trouble. Just had to replace my package unit at home...these new suckers are big (tall wise). I under the point about line sets though.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post

Another fail on house-related matters.

I do HVAC for a living. From a service stand point gas pack all day it was for me. Gas is instant heat versus heat pump. If you dont mind what brand unit/units are you looking at? Manufactures are so competitive nowadays is comes down to price and warranty.
    Last edited by rodandgun83; 11-02-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    Non Supporting Member

Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Carrier
    Ehh not my first choice but to each their own. I wouldnt buy into a high Seer system. 16 SEER is maximum I would go especially since its a older home. Once you get past that you get into alot of problems from what Ive seen.
    Last edited by rodandgun83; 11-02-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    Non Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rodandgun83 View Post
    I do HVAC for a living. From a service stand point gas pack all day it was for me. Gas is instant heat versus heat pump. If you dont mind what brand unit/units are you looking at? Manufactures are so competitive nowadays is comes down to price and warranty.
    As former HVAC installer/service tech, I agree with rodandgun. Gas will be there if power goes out, just need the small generator (900 watt) from Harbor Freight to power controls on gas.

Back from the dead.

Our Carrier package unit is 14 years old. In the last two years it has cost us around $2000. Yesterday the blower crapped out on us which is going to cost us close to $1000.

We are now faced with patching it or buying new. We are leaning towards new.

What are the top brands?

Get the one that is hard to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

I just had to replace my stuff and went with a Heil. Same thing as a Byrant, Carrier. All made in the same place. Split system with Nat. Gas
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I just went from LP gas pack to electric heat when I replaced my heat pump last month. You have to buy gas and you still use almost as much electric to blow hot air into house. Gas heat is instant, but unless you can run it off of natural gas it’s not economical. I owned my own LP tanks and could shop for the best price but still spent $1200 + a year in LP.
    I do have a set of gas logs and an LP generator as a back up for when we lose electric.

Someone chime in for me ... I close on a duplex in early September. Right now both units are using a single HVAC system. Plan is to keep the upstairs unit on the existing HVAC, and place a mini split system in the lower unit. Downstairs unit is roughly 1,000 sqft, maybe a touch smaller. I'm thinking a dual zone mini split AC and heat will handle what I'm looking to do.

Any brands to stay away from? Any lower priced systems that are actually worth it, or should I stay away from all of those? Not looking to be cheap, but also not wanting top of the line since it will be a rental. There are a ton of options on Amazon.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 08-19-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Carrier
    For what it’s worth I just replaced a condenser on a 4 yr old Carrier unit. Part was under warranty but was charged a grand for labor. I’m not happy with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk