Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Song Of The South

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Song Of The South

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

mmmmm. sweet potato pie....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I was hoping for Uncle Remus...

never gets old...i can see my grandaddy in the first part of those videos. He and my grandmother wrote their memoirs in a dimestore spiral notebook in the early 90s. Explicit memory of the depression and war time. Now that he has passed it is a treasure that I will never lose hold of. It gave me clarity that books could never, and made me feel as if I was there. Poor farmers like they were, picking cotton for next to nothing, checking rabbit traps at 3am before school, milking cows, feeding hogs. Granny making lye soap, collecting rainwater to use to wash clothes. Made boots out of old Model T innertubes. Got a piece of candy, one toy and maybe a piece of fruit for christmas. Sneaking out playing baseball with a rock that had twine wrapped around it down in the bottoms on Sundays cause they weren't supposed to play on the Sabbath.

And the things our society today complains about...
    Last edited by LowcountryBuck; 11-01-2018 at 11:38 AM.

^good stuff

My dad was born in '39. My grampa owned a filling station at the time. You can imagine how things were....

Anywho, I will always remember my dad's perspective on certain things. He never got over my kids baseball teams having a bucket of baseballs. It bothered him a good bit. Turns out, he was right....and it is certainly because of our current "prosperity." I dont think our country will change until we hit rock bottom again. He talked about the ONE baseball his neighborhood had and how it, too, was wrapped in enough tape and twine to hardly resemble a round object. I bet you could go out to the ballpark these days and find a dozen good balls in the bushes bc kids dont give a shit bc their dads dont, either.

I am appalled/amazed by all the halloween decorations. People who say they live "check to check" but its because of frivolous spending. We have no perspective these days and dont realize how grotesque our expenses are.

but i did see alabama in concert more than any other band besides the Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    nice. I've seen them 3 or 4 times, but none of those was in their "heyday" so to speak. Bet that was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Things make a LOT more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Grew up in the same town that Joel Chandler Harris was from. Hoping to take the kids by the museum at Thanksgiving. We've tried a couple of times, but haven't timed it right.

I'm amazed it's still at splash mountain.

D
    Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Grew up in the same town that Joel Chandler Harris was from. Hoping to take the kids by the museum at Thanksgiving. We've tried a couple of times, but haven't timed it right.

My moms family is from Monticello. As a kid we always looked forward to the rabbit on the square, as we knew the trip was nearly over. I picked several different books from the museum over the years, my favorite being Uncle Remus tales in old slave dialect. Neat place.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Would love to check that out myself...

I had to go to great pains to find an old version of those tales, that still included the Tar Baby. My kids love them, I generally need at least one glass of whiskey to get the dialect right.

Have fond memories of seeing them in their heyday even though they were known to wear Coot jersies when playing in Columbia. I remember Janie Fricke opening for them and dang that woman could sing a country song.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 11-01-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Peepaw took me to see Alabama in Columbia in the early 90s. He ended up overdosing on methadone before we even got through the second verse of the first song "high cotton". Since then I can't listen to that song without wondering what type of high Peepaw thought they were singing about.

Hahahaha

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

A friend put Song of the South on Google Drive. Download it or just watch it. I've already downloaded it. I'll stick it on a flash drive and then burn it to CD later. Although I have a copy on disc, Thanks JAB.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RsK...uwDRcq313/view
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Me too... I have that Song of the South on DVD. It pays to have a friend do a college internship with Disney.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Do you have any idea how many younger adults have no clue what we're talking about? a huge amount, a lot, most.. that's the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Things make a LOT more sense now.
    Leave jerry and the dead out of this...

I really relate to this song because I grew up the exact same way. Except I grew up pretty rich in L.A. and I never played base ball because my two Moms thought it was to violent