Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Food plots and mustard control....

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    What's the 2 4 D for?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Due to the tolerance of the mustard this rate was recommended to me by Dr Craig Harper professor of wildlife at University of Tennessee
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Due to the tolerance of the mustard this rate was recommended to me by Dr Craig Harper professor of wildlife at University of Tennessee

And he thinks the 2 4 D won't harm the clover?

Correct...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

24-dB is butyrac, which is a very different formulation from your 24-d amine or low-vol formulation. With that being said I can see where the butyrac can be sprayed on clover with minimal damage. It may cause some injury but should overcome it. Do not expect the same results from butyrac as you would other 24-d formations because it does NOT work the same.
    U serious Clark?

Correct...

Quote Originally Posted by baldpate View Post
    24-dB is butyrac, which is a very different formulation from your 24-d amine or low-vol formulation. With that being said I can see where the butyrac can be sprayed on clover with minimal damage. It may cause some injury but should overcome it. Do not expect the same results from butyrac as you would other 24-d formations because it does NOT work the same.

Good deal, let us know how it works out. I may have a use for that in the future.

My understanding is any other 2 4D will kill the Clover.... I am going to run a couple of test plots this week probably one of just straight basagran and then the other will be a tank mix of the two.

I will definitely post an update after I see the results in a couple of days as it should not take long at all. I will also be spraying some Italian wildrye in the same food plot mix as more of it germinates.

Got god control with 1.5 qt basagran and 1.5 qt 2,4d-b....will post up some results.
    Just sprayed all the other plots with mustard issues as well.....now have to address the Italian wild-rye

Got god control with 1.5 qt basagran and 1.5 qt 2,4d-b....will post up some results.
    Just sprayed all the other plots with mustard issues as well.....now have to address the Italian wild-rye
    What size was the mustard at application..??

3-4"....

Meant to update this sooner but the mustard is either dead or strongly suppressed.
    I think the trick no matter what Rx you're spraying is to hit it early.
    Now, I need to target some Italian wild-rye...

Meant to update this sooner but the mustard is either dead or strongly suppressed.
    I think the trick no matter what Rx you're spraying is to hit it early.
    Now, I need to target some Italian wild-rye...
    What’s the plan? I’d start with Select.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

That’ll do. Keep us posted.
    Go Tigers!

Keep in mind my food plots are planted in wheat and Clover

Ah forgot about the wheat.
    Go Tigers!

Keep in mind my food plots are planted in wheat and Clover
    I previously thought it near impossible to take mustard out of a field of this (mine has rye and oats too)...The real trick is like Cali said, early identification and application.

I had a different situation...A couple fields that were in a creek bottom got too wet to get the tractor in to spray, and of course it got out of hand...I literally had wild yellow mustard over 2' tall...I finally said the hell with it and built a 3 nozzle sprayer for the Gator and did a 4 wheel drive application...I used 1 qt 2-4,D , 1 qt dicamba, 1 pt triclopyr...It obliterated the mustard and had very little burn on the wheat, rye and oats...Suprising thing was that because of the canopy height and overlap, about 80% of the clover survived.

Moral of the story......Get it early, or get it late.