Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Turkey survey is out

That would be called biology, not an agenda if in fact there is data to support such a change.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    That would be called biology, not an agenda if in fact there is data to support such a change.
    I call it an agenda when they paint the whole state with one broad brush. There may be certain parts of the state with problems but there are many locations where the populations are very stable.

There are many other things they could do first but have not done them yet nor will they. Their only solution is changing dates and shorter and shorter seasons

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    You pay for deer tags don't you? That's no different. It would be a good things in two ways. One it would be less hunting by people who only turkey hunt a couple times of the year and cut down on the birds being killed. Two they could put the money they get from tags towards research on our turkey population. Although honestly I wish research was done by someone other than CR and his boys at DNR. They all have their agenda to push and they are pushing it hard. Also if you don't want to see changes in turkey hunting, talk to your reps boys. Put the word out that you don't want to see it. They hold the key to it all
    I get 11 with the cost of my license.

I can CHOOSE to buy more if I desire. And what is the sinister goal of lower limits and shorter seasons? And you come off with an elitist attitude about how someone hunting a few times a year is encroaching on your birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I get 11 with the cost of my license.

I can CHOOSE to buy more if I desire. And what is the sinister goal of lower limits and shorter seasons? And you come off with an elitist attitude about how someone hunting a few times a year is encroaching on your birds.
    I don't want lower limits and shorter seasons. That's one reason I want tags to be paid for as a step to stop lower limits and shorter seasons. If you are a turkey hunter you'd pay $100 a tag if you had too. I know a lot on here would. No one encroaches on the birds that I hunt. Also those aren't my birds, they're a natural resource. I do not own them. I just don't want later start dates, shorter seasons, and lower bag limits. Especially with everything I hunt flourishing and everything around me doing the same.
    Last edited by PJ1012; 11-06-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Unless you are a profession, certified wildlife biologist your opinion of what DNR should do first is Monday morning quarterbacking!
    Our property has a far better than average turkey population but we harvest conservatively and put a tremendous amount of time, effort, and resources into ensuring it remains that way.
    What yourself and others don't get are the subtle unnoticed effects of our current season framework.
    For instance..... The timing of our season is such that a lot of dominant birds are being killed before they get an opportunity to breed all of the hens. As you know, turkeys are social animals but research has shown it to be extremely complex even more so than anyone ever knew.
    It's possible and suspected that by killing dominant birds, others don't get things sorted out as quickly as you might think and hens are not getting bred at all!
    If this is correct, there's only one way to fix this problem....
    I do not want change anymore than you do but there are some bright minds working on this and belive it or not, they love tomfoolery more than you do!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

the turkey research was not conducted by Charles Ruth.
    Windows Down!

Bingo...

Unless you are a profession, certified wildlife biologist your opinion of what DNR should do first is Monday morning quarterbacking!
    Our property has a far better than average turkey population but we harvest conservatively and put a tremendous amount of time, effort, and resources into ensuring it remains that way.
    What yourself and others don't get are the subtle unnoticed effects of our current season framework.
    For instance..... The timing of our season is such that a lot of dominant birds are being killed before they get an opportunity to breed all of the hens. As you know, turkeys are social animals but research has shown it to be extremely complex even more so than anyone ever knew.
    It's possible and suspected that by killing dominant birds, others don't get things sorted out as quickly as you might think and hens are not getting bred at all!
    If this is correct, there's only one way to fix this problem....
    I do not want change anymore than you do but there are some bright minds working on this and belive it or not, they love tomfoolery more than you do!
    A. If there is not a turkey population problem, which I stand by that there isn't, then none of what you just typed matters. If there are portions of the state that are having issues, then change the seasons there accordingly.
    B. Every southern state just about opens in March. I am not convinced that this research is very accurate if at all. If a dominate bird is harvested, the next bird up has and will breed her if there is another mature bird on location. If someone is harvesting the only mature they have on said location, they aren't very smart turkey hunters.
    Last edited by PJ1012; 11-06-2018 at 03:34 PM.

The hierarchy among mature Gobblers is such that when a dominant bird is killed, it takes a number of days before the next contenders sort out who is the going to be the next dominant breeder of the flock. There is a lag in breeding during that time.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

That went right over his head my friend...

Like I've said before most of the state and much of the country has been hunting turkeys for less than 30 years. There is much to understand and learn about Turkey population Dynamics

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    The hierarchy among mature Gobblers is such that when a dominant bird is killed, it takes a number of days before the next contenders sort out who is the going to be the next dominant breeder of the flock. There is a lag in breeding during that time.
    This I totally agree with this. Many times you will kill the only bird that gobbles on a tract of land and come back 2 days later and 5 are gobbling. The 5 gobbling are sorting out the pecking order. It may delay breeding a day or two (although I am not convinced of that either because several birds will be breeding until pecking order is restored) but it will not cause hens to not be breed at all. The next mature bird up will bred the hens until they are all breed

That went right over his head my friend...
    Nothing went over my head. I understand completely what you are trying to preach I just don't agree with your sermon. I to manage my flocks and observe birds year round. I see how many hens have poults, how many gobblers the tract is holding, and how many that needs to be taken off the tract. I never go more that 50% but it is normally 25-35%. I have spent countless hours and resources to make every piece of ground I hunt better.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    the turkey research was not conducted by Charles Ruth.
    That's a relief, and I'm not being sarcastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Default New Turkey survey is out

Like I've said before most of the state and much of the country has been hunting turkeys for less than 30 years. There is much to understand and learn about Turkey population Dynamics
    Exactly, so far on this thread I’ve seen several land managers,a few great turkey hunters and one PJ......PJ seems to know more than all of you combined.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 11-06-2018 at 04:18 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I'm still waiting on what the sinister "agenda" is behind lower limits and shorter seasons.

Profit? Revenge? Jealousy? Rage?

Pennies and onions Bo.... Pennies and onions!

IF you read the entire report you will see some very sound scientific data ( only as good as the collection though) and you will also see that recruitment is at an all time low, the lowest actually since the program started as noted in the report. I gained a little insight as to the Web study today and some very interesting and not positive things as to behavior and recruitment were discovered. I will post up that report when it is released unless someone beats me to it first.
    Genesis 9;2