Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Venison Meatballs?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Soooo, here's the thing. Cows don't have nuts.

The idea is udderly ridiculous.

Didn't say I'd never eaten em, just that I don't unless it can't be helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Fooey Grass has a really good meatball recipe that I've used. Hopefully he'll share it. I dummied it down to less ingredients and less steps and his called for pan frying the meatballs where I dump mine raw in the sauce and let 'em cook in there.

Basically it's saute'd onion and garlic dumped in the meat with basil, oregano, S/P, some thyme, an egg and fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Roll 'em into 1" diameter and drop them into the red sauce. I use a crock pot and let 'em slow roll all day. Don't ask for measurements. Got no clue. Season to taste.
    Just an update on this. I found the recipe you mentioned and loosely based it on that. I went a little too heavy on the onion and garlic for the kids' preference. And I didn't use any bread crumbs or oatmeal. They turned out really juicy and I'll definitely do them again. Cooking them in a pan with the sauce was so simple it was genius.

I didn't take any pictures on fancy plates. But it's not too hard to imagine. They looked like balls of meat. Some had red sauce on them. Others just had a little cheese drizzled on them. And yes some were smaller than others.

Since it was almost 9 years old here is recipe mentioned. I didn't really do it any justice, but it got me on the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by Foie Gras View Post
    6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 pound ground venison
    1/4 pound ground pork
    1 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    Creole seasoning
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 cup dry red wine
    1/4 cup flour
    1 quart veal or chicken stock
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    4 tablespoons cold butter
    2 pounds fresh pasta ribbons
    1/2 cup chopped green onions

In a large saute pan set over medium high heat, render the bacon until crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on paper towels. Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 2 minutes. In the bowl of a food processor, process the onions and garlic into a smooth paste, then set aside to cool.
    In a large mixing bowl combine the venison and veal. With an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, blend the meats together on low speed. (Alternately, blend together the ingredients with a large wooden spoon.) Slowly add the bacon and onion mixture, and once incorporated, gradually add the buttermilk, breadcrumbs and cheese in stages. Add the salt, pepper, rosemary and sage, and blend thoroughly.
    Form the meat into 20 even sized balls. Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat and heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. Add the meatballs to the pot in batches and sear on all sides. Remove the meatballs and add the red wine to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Pour the pan juices into a cup and reserve. Add the remaining vegetable oil and flour to the pan and cook over medium heat to make a light brown roux, stirring constantly, about 5 -- 10 minutes. Add the veal stock to the pan and stir until the roux is completely dissolved. Bring the stock to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the sauce reduce for 15 minutes, then stir in the Dijon mustard and cream. Return the meatballs and reserved pan juices to the pot and cook for 20 minutes.
    Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta ribbons to the boiling water and cook until al dente, about 8 -- 10 minutes. Drain the pasta, toss lightly with olive oil and keep warm.
    Swirl the cold butter into the sauce and adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve the noodles topped by meatballs and sauce, garnishing each serving with chopped green onions and grated Parmesan cheese.

Regular ol Richard Tracey.

Glad they turned out well.