Thread: Hog Rig

Default Hog Rig

Trying to put together a night time hog rig. I’ve decided on the 6.8spc because all of my shots are under 200yds with all but one being 100 or so. The sticking point is the optics, this is for hog hunting only and won’t be used every day like my deer rifles are. Once we kill a few hogs we have to wait for them to move to other areas to get some sort of pattern or come back to an area.

Do you go with a feeder light and if so do you use a traditional optic, do you go with a NV scope or as I’ve heard thermal. I know thermal is best but it’s also expensive for a good unit. Or am I overlooking something that will be cost effective and do the job?

Open to suggestions, I’m not a big AR guy so this is a learning experience for me. Hogs range in size from piglets to 300# and maybe more. We’re loaded with the nocturnal bastards this year.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Default Hog Rig

I’m running a 12.5” 6.8 upper built by Blackstone Arms in TX. PSA pistol lower with Geissele SSA-E trigger. Innovative Arms Deception suppressor and a Pulsar Apex XQ50.

Pretty accurate setup.

Three shots at 100.

Last edited by dfasano; 10-24-2018 at 01:22 PM.

That's a sweet setup there. I was going to build a 6.8 a while back and never did. I think I have some magazines laying around Salty. If so you can have them, and I'll get them to you sometime when I come down that way. I put the cart before the horse on that project.

If you go thermal-spend extra money on a high quality quick detach mount. I’m using a ZRO Delta QD and it’s very easy to detach and mount on another gun with one hand at night with no light

You will enjoy it on multiple rifles.

I put it on my 22 mag to shoot trapped hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    If you go thermal-spend extra money on a high quality quick detach mount. I’m using a ZRO Delta QD and it’s very easy to detach and mount on another gun with one hand at night with no light

You will enjoy it on multiple rifles.

I put it on my 22 mag to shoot trapped hogs.

QD Mount

Cold nosed, gritty plott hound and an American Bulldog
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

How long did you have to wait on the stamp for the suppressor and SBR? How much does the suppressor help shooting pigs? Our lanes are tight so, you don’t have much time for follow up shots or second shots.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Default Hog Rig

Suppressors were a 5 month wait-2016.

No SBR needed when using pistol lower/brace.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516447561.html

Last edited by dfasano; 10-24-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Default Hog Rig

Go here and read about thermal scopes/6.8 rifles for night hog hunting.

http://lonestarboars.com

Last edited by dfasano; 10-24-2018 at 04:44 PM.

i use a flashlight and a shotgun with ease.

last saturday I used a bow and mad ninja skills to get in the middle of at least 15 of those smelly jokers and shot one in the face at 15 steps.

you gun people scare me.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by white quacker View Post
    Cold nosed, gritty plott hound and an American Bulldog
    We going to need a few packs to change out this year. Everywhere but up on the sand hill.

Quacker. Been missing y'all. Time for a
    Pot of chili and a tree for Ralph to climb.

308 and if you’re not shooting them in a field then a red or green light is just as good as thermal or NV. I own all 3
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    308 and if you’re not shooting them in a field then a red or green light is just as good as thermal or NV. I own all 3
    What kind of thermal do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by bucknfloat2 View Post
    Quacker. Been missing y'all. Time for a
    Pot of chili and a tree for Ralph to climb.
    Buck and Salty, plan it and there will be two packs. I’ve been missing some chili and that dang rye water!!