Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A pretty cool evening

Default A pretty cool evening

My 5 year old little girl has always liked going to the woods with me. She’s been present on a turkey kill, a couple of good goose whackings, she’s hell on bream, and has the dove thing down.

She’s been talking about wanting to be with me on a deer kill, so last night we set out to do just that. Deer hunting is a bit more of a challenge, as she doesn’t do well with the quiet and the sitting still. For the last few years, we have always made it an event. Eat chocolate, ride the 4 wheeler, fill feeders, check cams, and leave the stand whenever she got the least bit bored.

Last night we took the laptop for movies, chocolate, sprite, and very little chance of success. We settled in about 5:15, and by 5:45 I felt like we had sufficiently scared every deer in Sumter county, and most across the line in Lee county. We started to do a little dancing to some of Bruno Mars finest to kill time. The first time she asked “how long we would sit” was 5:55, and at 6 a 16” 8 pops out at the feeder. We scrambled and got everyone into position. I wasn’t wild about shooting this 3.5 year old beauty, and luckily, his 5 point buddy stepped out. She got her fingers in her ears, I got a clear shot, and down he went.

She was so excited to hold the horns, touch the blood, and help with the drag. She got to do the whole processor thing, see the deer skinned, further discuss where meat comes from, why we didn’t shoot the bigger one, and most importantly eat McDonalds.

She wanted to take the horns to school, but we thought better of that.

I’ll spare the video of the dance party.

Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

im planning to take my 4 year old this weekend for her first sit. We will see how it goes.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

good stuff Michael.

Dude! that's what its all about! My daughter is 11 now, she loves shooting guns, doesn't mind that I kill deer, but wants no part in the killing or processing. Teach them young.
    JT
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often. And for the same reason.

Very cool. Congrats to all involved.

mine tells me im not allowed to kill the girl deer. We see the mommas and babies about every night in the yard. She says its ok to shoot the daddy deer though
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Excellent
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Heck yeah, good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    im planning to take my 4 year old this weekend for her first sit. We will see how it goes.
    Cali has raised a stone cold killing little girl and gave me some great advice. Make it fun. Snacks, games, clothes that they like, whatever. There are a ton of things to consider that I've had to learn. I don't take my personal comfort into account, but with kids, they have to be comfortable. You have to think about the walk to the stand, sun in their eyes, and a million other things. Try to get in the stand as late as possible, because 90 minutes is a long time for a young kid.

Also, make it an event. She thinks of hunting as getting chocolate, riding in the back of the truck, helping open the gate, looking at the map, etc. All the things we take for granted because they are second nature. One thing mine really loves is having her own binoculars. She wears them and she gets to use them. You know what makes your kid tick, but make sure you try to think of every part of the process.

HAVE FUN
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Very nice sir!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Great stuff Boozer!

good stuff! fun times. great memories.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Where’s the picture where your holding her and the deer both by the ankle above your head? Just kidding. Awesome time in the woods! Congrats!!

That's awesome.
    Sitting still and a kid with chocolate doesn't go together.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Well done.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Good stuff man, congrats!

Good deal there

Best memories

nice

Great job!!