Thread: 204 vs 243

Default 204 vs 243

Which would you prefer and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Rifle I'm looking at offers 204, 243, 223, and 22-250. This will be primarily a 100 yard gun meant for shooting a doe. Both my nine year old and seven year old will shoot it. They both handle recoil well but my other rifles have too much recoil for them to shoot.
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls

Kicks like a .243 kills like mans gun.

For what you want, (deer rifle) .243.

To answer your question, .204. Just cause I have a .22-250, so .223 is moot. And I have a deer rifle, so I don't need a .243.

What gun are you looking at? I ask because you're talking about a 100 yd deer rifle...for kids. That opens up a lot of options beyond those four calibers.....

Looking at the howa mini
    Tip:
    Tekton Game Calls

Why not a 308 6.5 or 30-06

They make reduced recoil loads for those calibers
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

7mm-08. My daughter started shooting one when she was 7. Recoil wasn’t an issue.
    I have a 204 and have killed several deer with it but I would not put it in the hands of a kid to hunt with. It’s a head/neck shot caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post

Kicks like a .243 kills like mans gun.
    Dude on the plane beside me had his bighorn in the overhead bin above us. Shot w the 6.5 at 600 yds
    Tip:
    Tekton Game Calls

You'll wanna borrow it.

243. A lot of factory ammo options. Cheaper brass options if you reload. And as far as hunting goes, a 243 is just more versatile.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I have both. The 204 is loud as hell, very few heavy bullet offerings. I would opt for the 243 to deer hunt.

Definitely 243 over the 204 for deer. I have a 204 that gets used for paper, crows, and groundhogs. I don’t have a 243, but do shoot a 6mm Remington. If you are a handloader, the 6mm can be a good choice. Factory loadings are more available with the 243.

30-30
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

243 but like others have said a 6.5 or 7/08 would suit better for many things and recoil virtually same depending on bullet weight.
    Genesis 9;2

My boy has a Tikka T3compact in 243 really like the little gun a lot.

243 or 223 for ammo options. Or go bigger and put a brake on it
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Ended up w the 6.5
    Tip:
    Tekton Game Calls

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    30-30
    Prolly the best suggestion right here.

I started shooting a 243 Remington bolt action when I was 6 years old. 100 grain Winchester ammo, yes it kicked and bloodied my nose a time or two. Killed my first deer with it that year after several boxes of ammo punched the paper. My boy will get it the same opportunity once he shows the desire and understands what he is doing.

Kids have no place shooting a gun they cannot load, unload and make safe. Never once did my mentors sitting in the stand with me have to assist with gun handling. Not many youth have the strength to cock/decock a lever action rifle. Gun safety 101. Don’t know how many times I have seen gun handlers misfire a hammered shotgun or rifle. Novice and experienced alike.
    Last edited by Smilee; 10-27-2018 at 06:53 AM.