Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever culled does?

Default Ever culled does?

I've been in a 1300 acre club for about 6 years. In these 6 years I've seen just a handful of bucks. All small. And I hunt twice a week at a minimum.

I might see 15-25 deer in a sit and of those deer maybe 2 will be bucks, just cowhorns.

Has anyone ever tried whacking the shit out of does? Is there a rule of thumb?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You serious Clark?

Kill em all.

Shoot the little ones. They eat just as much as big does but don't produce twins.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I’ve always heard 4:1 is good. We murdered a bunch a few years back and have seen a lot more bucks since. This year I’m seeing more bucks than does though most are young. The tract is weird though, seems they’re rutting a few weeks ahead of other places. Might be the weather systems we’ve had the last 4 years in Septembrr. The 9 I killed three weeks ago was in full rut, swollen up, stinky and tarsals as black as tar. I’d love a fat doe to step out to cull right now.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I don't know a damn about deer herds I just know I'm tired of seeing no WTBD on this place i'm ready to kill every deer and salt the ground.

https://www.qdma.com/reality-doebuck-ratios/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

killing does is just clean fun! I killed 17 out of one field about 6-7 years ago and the last day of the season I saw and in godly amount of bucks.

get the herd balanced- shoot some does

on another nots- if you put your stands in high deer traffic areas you will see lots of does. That's great for deer hunting but bad for buck hunting. If you are going to hunt bucks, you have to get away from high traffic areas and hunt areas with minor deer sign and beside heavy cover, you have to sacrifice seeing deer( does ) every time you hunt and be willing to see nothing- until the buck shows up

Good advice above! If you want to see good bucks you have to be where good bucks want to be! Aside from that shoot some does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot em like they stole money from you. In NC you can sign up for a DMAP program. You’ll get an assigned biologist to walk your property to look at browse lines, native forrage, advise for percentage of acreage in food plot, pull soil samples, etc. with this program the state will issue your club X number of antlerless tags that allow you to shoot X number of does that do not go against your license. You then weigh, score if a buck, and jaw bone every deer shot and turn that data into the biologist. Not sure if SC has a similar deal, but it’s quality information if you want to improve your land. This will be year 8 for us in the program and I feel like I’ve learned more than I would have in 10 lifetimes without it.

7 of us have 3400ac in central NC. The long term lease holders before us rarely shot a doe and when we started 10 years ago the hunting was exactly like you described- 10:1 ratio with poor buck sign. I’m almost embarrassed to admit how many does I shot years 1-4. Just say the messicans in the trailer park near our club thought I was a God pulling up to drop off meat does 3x week. Now our average doe weights are way higher and the quality of bucks is amazing considering where it was.

Bottom line: pour the lead.

We used to have a doe culling weekend toward the end of the season at a friends very nice 1500 acre farm. We’d hammer em. Wasn’t unusual for 3-4 of us to kill 30 in 2 afternoon hunts. Toughest part when you get trigger happy is not shooting button bucks

Lots of fun and some late nights at the skinning shed

Put it in the club rules, after the rut . All club members must fill all doe tags or a increase in individuals who don’t , pay a fixed rate per doe. They and yourself will kill the maximum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rod, from your brief description , yep you need to up your doe kill substantially. I wouldn't simply go to war on the smaller ones as you run a great risk of killing button bucks unless you use really good optics and are aware of how to judge the difference.
    Genesis 9;2

Wish my club had this rule I would have a free membership.

Why are y'all not shooting does now?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Why are y'all not shooting does now?
    And please don’t say because of the rut

We aren't NOT shooting them but the limit per member is 2 or 3. And mayby 15-20 get killed a season on this 1300+ acres. I've always wondered if we just had too many and needed a real thinning and a reset.

I'm not at all the great white hunter but I've hunted all over this place and find it so crazy I have never seen even a 2-3yr old buck. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Shoot them and at least donate the meat. The bucks will thank you.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

What ever the state limit is, should be the club rules . Not 2 or 3 y’all ain’t doing shit to help the cause

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk