Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Property tax

Default Property tax

I thought if a outboard motor is over 10/yrs old you no longer pay tax's on it. Got one on the motor but not the boat. And this is the first notice I have gotten in 4/yrs? Anybody?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Depends on the county

Taxes like that are one thing I don't miss about SC.

They did that to a lot of folks.Dnr must've had to pay for a governor party or something.

Got mine yesterday as well from Newberry County on my boat and motor....2002 year

I have been receiving and paying property tax on my boat since new and i bought it in 2006. Thus - I can confirm they charge for at least 12 years.

15 yrs in Newberry County

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    I have been receiving and paying property tax on my boat since new and i bought it in 2006. Thus - I can confirm they charge for at least 12 years.
    G'ville county used to stop at 10.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    G'ville county used to stop at 10.

I am in Greenville. 12 years of bills so far.

I am thinking they changed that a few years back, used to be if 15yrs old or more no taxes but not any more

However not sure if it is by county or state, was thinking it was a state change

Hmm... I've got a '92 boat and a '93 motor and haven't had a tax bill on them in 10(?) years or so. I don't expect one due to the assessed market value, but we'll see.

Here's some info from the Anderson County Tax Assessor's office, but it's from SC law so should pertain to everyone...

https://www.andersoncountysc.org/ele...cials/auditor/

Boat Information

Property Taxes

Under South Carolina law, all boats and boat motors are subject to annual property tax as follows:

- If owned by an individual – taxes must be paid in the county in which an owner resides (primary residence)
    - If not owned by an individual (i.e. corporation) – taxes must be paid in the county where boat or boat motor is located.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Are all boats and motors taxable?
    Boats and boat motors with a fair market value of more than $500 are taxable.

When are my boat property taxes due?
    The last date to pay property taxes without penalty is generally January 15.

Do I have to pay my property tax bill I received this year if I sold my boat before December 31st of last year?
    No, only the owner of record on December 31 of the year preceding a tax bill is liable for the property tax.

For example: If you receive a 2014 tax bill and you owned the boat on December 31, 2013, you must pay the 2014 property tax bill. If you receive a 2014 tax bill and you sold your boat before December 31, 2013, you do not owe the 2014 property tax bill. You must notify the County Auditor's Office and DNR that you have sold your boat.

Can I appeal the value on my boat/motor?
    Yes. However, any appeal of value must be submitted to the Auditor’s Office prior to the due date of the property tax bill. An appeal does not extend the due date of the property tax bill.

I have a Coast Guard Documented Vessel, what are the tax laws?
    While documented vessels are not registered with DNR, they are subject to annual property tax in the same manner as registered boats and boat motors and an annual property tax bill is sent each fall to owners of documented vessels.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Now that boats/motors are being financed out to 30 years, I would expect to keep getting billed.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    15 yrs in Newberry County
    Thanks J, funny how I did not get one the last 3/yrs and not one on the boat
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

20 in calhoun. Till it dies in lex or richland
    Last edited by mello_collins; 10-18-2018 at 04:08 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Got min from Lexington county this week. Got bills for pontoon boat and for motor. Also got one for duck boat motor but not the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker2 View Post
    Now that boats/motors are being financed out to 30 years, I would expect to keep getting billed.
    If someone is stupid enough to finance a boat for 30 years they deserve to pay the taxes on it for life.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    If someone is stupid enough to finance a boat for 30 years they deserve to pay the taxes on it for life.
    Just cause you got money and do not need to finance for 30 years, doesn’t make you any better than other folks! Know that...

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Just cause you got money and do not need to finance for 30 years, doesn’t make you any better than other folks! Know that...
    I don’t have money nor do have a boat worth financing. There is not a single financial situation or boat that I can think of that’s worth a 30 year note.
    Last edited by reeltight; 10-18-2018 at 07:11 PM.

If somebody has a 30 year note on a boat it best have a helipad, gold toliets and big tittied whores carrying around coolers of beer and buckets of blow.

If you have to finance your boat for 30 years you shouldn’t be buying that boat.