Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Grass?

Default Eating Grass?

I'm on my 3rd black lab female.

My current dog (just turned 6) likes to eat grass, then throws it up at night.

This happens every 2 weeks or so......for a couple nights in a row.

During duck season it happens every time we hunt.

Is she lacking something her diet that causes her to eat grass?

I have a vet apt later today for her annual check up, so I'll ask the vet as well, but I'm sure someone here has had the same experience.

maybe she likes the way it taste....
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

We have always fed them a mixture of browned ground beef, rice, and cottage cheese.

Or she is the Les Miles of dogs.
    Last edited by SCDAWG; 10-18-2018 at 08:06 AM.

"maybe she likes the way it taste...."

It's possible I guess.....but you would think she'd learn that grass = throw up....which she can't enjoy.
    Last edited by welltaut; 10-18-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Dogs eat grass or leafy greens when they have an upset stomach. Have you tried different dog foods? Are you giving your dog raw hide bones?
    "run and gun guide service"

Quote Originally Posted by dox08 View Post
    Dogs eat grass or leafy greens when they have an upset stomach. Have you tried different dog foods? Are you giving your dog raw hide bones?
    No rawhide, no bones, treats, etc.

Purina One, rotate between lamb, chicken, etc.

Might need to try something different.....

give the dog some canned pumpkin as it helps with upset stomachs and loose stool.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

With my dogs, rotating foods made them sick. They would vomit and shit when food changed. When they had consistent food they did not get sick.

Maybe try a quality food your dog will eat consistently and stick with it for a while.

I am not a vet so I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Maybe try something like pro plan or another high dollar brand for a while. My dogs eat grass when they want to vom.

Vegan dog.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    With my dogs, rotating foods made them sick. They would vomit and shit when food changed. When they had consistent food they did not get sick.

Maybe try a quality food your dog will eat consistently and stick with it for a while.

i agree with this non vet.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

No idea if it pertains to your dog , but we had something similar going on with a smaller dog. We cut out chicken/chicken meal from all its food. Grass eating or vomit hasn’t happened since .

Maybe if we had a Veterinarian on staff here, he or she would comment.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    They are too busy seeing actual paying clients And bitching about paying quarterly taxes to the giverment.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I'd suggest not to ever feed anything purina even if it's free. Pro plan is probably the worst feed I've ever used, I started with it 10 years ago and found out real quick it's shit and horrible for a hunting dog.

some of mine eat grass, some of em don't. I had a trainer tell a friend that some dogs ate shit and some didn't, I convinced my buddy it was the pro plan he was feeding. He switched and the dog no longer ate it's own shit.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    I'd suggest not to ever feed anything purina even if it's free. Pro plan is probably the worst feed I've ever used, I started with it 10 years ago and found out real quick it's shit and horrible for a hunting dog.

some of mine eat grass, some of em don't. I had a trainer tell a friend that some dogs ate shit and some didn't, I convinced my buddy it was the pro plan he was feeding. He switched and the dog no longer ate it's own shit.
    What Ray said. I've had dogs that ate grass and some that didn't. I don't think it's a food or allergy thing but then again I'm not a vet either.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post

Well, I've always heard not to rotate brands....but I figured staying in the Purina One family and switching up flavors was safe.

Thinking back on this now.....the last switch from lamb to chicken was right around the same time we had our last issue. .

"I'd suggest not to ever feed anything purina even if it's free. Pro plan is probably the worst feed I've ever used, I started with it 10 years ago and found out real quick it's shit and horrible for a hunting dog.
    some of mine eat grass, some of em don't. I had a trainer tell a friend that some dogs ate shit and some didn't, I convinced my buddy it was the pro plan he was feeding. He switched and the dog no longer ate it's own shit."

So what's your brand of choice?
    I've had 3 hunting dogs on Purina One, they've all lived long, had good energy, and good coats/skin.
    This is the first issue I've had where I've started to question the food.
    Last edited by welltaut; 10-18-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    He's to busy working on cats and horses. Those kind of people spend crazy amounts of money.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Or there may be some thing about actually seeing an animal to be able to make a recommendation.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....