Thread: ‘95 Toyota 4 Runner needs engine

Default ‘95 Toyota 4 Runner needs engine

Located a clean ‘95 4 Runner that needs an engine. Can be had for less than $800. What should I expect to pay someone to replace the engine in this thing? Trying to justify a project.

Is it 4wd? 2.4 or 3.0?

Labor for a 3.0 4wd would prob be 12 to 1500.00
    More fuel = more boost!!

I have a 1992 Toyota truck with a 3.0 extended cab 4wd that I'd let go for $1300.00 It needs a transmission (automatic). 213k miles, I just don't feel like screwing with it.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    I have a 1992 Toyota truck with a 3.0 extended cab 4wd that I'd let go for $1300.00 It needs a transmission (automatic). 213k miles, I just don't feel like screwing with it.

Not to jump ahead on the thread, but if the motor is good, I'm interested.

Obviously if OP wants it, he has dibs.
    Last edited by lil 2 sleepy; 10-17-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Purrs like a kitten
    More fuel = more boost!!

It is 4wd SR5 with the 3.0 V6 and auto transmission. I am going to look at it Friday. I spoke with the owner earlier this afternoon. Appx 145K miles on the odometer. Could just be a blown head gasket or as severe as a thrown rod. It died going down I 85 in a cloud of white smoke. If it needs a new engine, I may look into upgrading to the 3.4. If I end up buying it, I’ll certainly give you a call Kevin.

Thank you. Let me know if I can be of any help.
    More fuel = more boost!!

3.0 is a solid motor once you take care of the head gasket and crossover pipe. Lots of info on "bulletproofing" that motor. That truck might have factory 4.88 gears. A bunch of the 4runners with autos did.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Sounds like one I saw for sale in Lancaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    It is 4wd SR5 with the 3.0 V6 and auto transmission. I am going to look at it Friday. I spoke with the owner earlier this afternoon. Appx 145K miles on the odometer. Could just be a blown head gasket or as severe as a thrown rod. It died going down I 85 in a cloud of white smoke. If it needs a new engine, I may look into upgrading to the 3.4. If I end up buying it, I’ll certainly give you a call Kevin.
    Needs a 350 Chevy motor! Conversion is pretty easy.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I bought it this afternoon. Body and paint are in good shape. I could not find any rust, even underneath. The interior needs a thorough cleaning and some plastic trim pieces need to be replaced. The rear end should be 4.88 if the code on the door tag is correct. This should work fine with 31s. Definitely needs an engine. 3.4L Toyota V6 seems to make the most sense. Now I need to find one.

I’ve got a 3.0 4Runner sitting on the farm that ran when it was parked. Belongs to Cusportsman and I’m sure he’d sell cheap. Engine swap on those are easy. We done 3-4 trucks 5-10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Keep it Toyota! 2RZ or the 5VZ would be great choices. The offroad world out west does the newer 2.7 2RZ swap all the time. It's got more power than the 3.0 and gets great gas mileage. I'd look for a 5 speed truck and swap out the auto if it were me.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn