Thread: Car chases..?

Default Car chases..?

There always seems to be plenty of opinion and room for discussion around here... The short of this situation is a wanted suspect with a suspended drivers license flees from police in a stolen vehicle. Suspect vehicle crashes leaving the suspect and his passenger dead.. An uninvolved citizen is also injured and their vehicle damaged. I know there are strong feelings about thieves and the less savory portion of the population “around here” but should the popo just watch as these folks fade into the sunset, or hold them accountable? Obviously this isn’t a yes or no but curious what the opinion of Scducks may be? http://www.wistv.com/2018/10/17/shou...loyee-injured/
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

To me it depends on what crime was committed And how dangerous the suspect is.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

When I first started we were Cowboys for sure.. We would run you untill the wheels fell off...

But, times are changing for sure. Pursuits policies are being changed daily. Lawsuits are almost a given, and the liabilities are great.. Most of it depends on departments. On nights, we almost always chase after midnight due to little to no traffic, on days you're gonna get cancelled real quick..

That being said, here is my personal preference... If its a misdemeanor and traffic offenses, I almost always call myself off. Id much rather kick in a door at 0300 with a warrant than put my life and others at risk of a pursuit..

Felonies are decided on a case by case basis.. Depending on injuries or fatalities to victims, seriousness of offense, etc..

I feel its coming to the point that pursuits will no longer exist in highly populated areas.

At the end of the day I have to be able to explain in any forum of court why the apprehension and the of the suspect outweighed the risk to the general public by pursuing the suspect.. A lot will go through your mind..

But damn a good pursuit is fun!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree- nothing more exciting than a run down for a big buck dog hunting, 4x4 slinging mud and CB radios yelling out where he's goin and finally BOOM BOOM

The last stats I saw said my agency averaged a pursuit a day. The vast majority of them end in collisions with no bystanders injured. That said, a car chase is dangerous as hell, to everyone. I think a no chase policy leads to more people taking off that normally wouldn't. An agency close to us has a restrictive pursuit policy, and has multiple cars take off on them every day. When they know they wont be chased, why pull over? I'd like to see more departments adopt the PIT maneuver. There's no point in chasing a car for 30 min, endangering everyone you pass, when you can pick a spot and put them in the grass within a few blocks.

No car chases. No dukes of hazzard. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

I say give all the police departments one of these, and have pursuit vehicle painted on the front, rear, and sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I agree- nothing more exciting than a run down for a big buck dog hunting, 4x4 slinging mud and CB radios yelling out where he's goin and finally BOOM BOOM
    Damn skippy.

I’ll agree with fireman.. Pursuits will soon be all but non-existent.. and those that have reason to run, will.. But what can you expect from a state the makes “failure to stop” an expungable misdemeanor..? It may take time but the public is likely not gonna be happy with the results.. I’ll go ahead and predict that dui’s, unlicensed/uninsured/unregistered and speed related collisions will rise exponentially.. not to mention the business of drug trafficking and property crimes involving a vehicle as the get away.. After all, all you gotta do is make it a few miles up the road.. and the under staffed rural agencies will be hit hardest.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.