Thread: Decoy heads

Default Decoy heads

Ok yall Ive "burlapped" some old Herters Coot decoys and I'm painting them as Black Ducks. The bodies are about 13 in long and 6 in wide. I need Black duck heads but all I can find are the ones for the Herters 72 magnums and I'm concerned they will look disproportionate to the bodies. Does anyone have some suggestions or links for Decoy heads? I would prefer they come pre-painted. Thanks in advance for your response.

Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    x2
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

If you have the time and "skill" you can make foam sandwhich heads. Key is to use PVC or something big enough in the center to run you bolt into. They carve the head and epoxy sculpt the bill.
    Last edited by joeydpga; 10-17-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: misspelling

You can also drill out the size you need for a threaded sleeve and glue that into place in the head.

Autumn Wings offers mallard heads in 72, 67 and 63. The 72's are going to be too big but the 67 or 63s will work fine. You might have to order mallard hen heads and paint them yourself.

I used a mallard hen 67 on the black duck below...all I had to do was to change the bill color and add the bark brown flecking.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

RH Those are looking good.

Thanks for all the info. I still haven't decided which heads to use. I couldn't find the 63's or 67's on the Autumn wings site. Can someone send me a link?

If you want to paint your own you can look at Homer heads, says they're recommended for 11-13" decoys. I used them on my magnums I've made tho.

I rough them with sand paper, prime them and paint. They are just about bulletproof too. You can reach out to folks on "Foam Decoys" Facebook site for help locating specific replacement heads too.

https://homerdecoys.com/shop?olsPage...lacement-heads
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 11-07-2018 at 06:23 AM.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill