Thread: Sesame/Benne Issues

Default Sesame/Benne Issues

I have planted this stuff off and on for a while, and the past two years in my little field at home (which may be the problem). Anyhow, I put in two strips of it this summer, row planted on 36" rows. This field has been an annual fight with Bermuda since I got it. I decided this year I would smoke half of it outside of the fence, so I sprayed it heavily by hand with roundup, then came back and resprayed any remaining green, chasing out every runner, etc. I got 95% of it, let it die, disced, fertilized, and planted then pre-emrgent over top. Came back over the crop with clethodim and it was doing well.

Fast forward, The strip near the woods at about 3-4' tall started dying from the bottom up in patches - to begin with it kind of correlated with the larger bermuda patch areas, so I chalked it up to having hosed that ground with Roundup and possibly having some residual in the tank when I did it or something. Then it spread. Now, I have one strip that is perfectly healthy over 6' tall and making seed pods like crazy, and an upper strip that is about 80% dead. Some made, some still making, and some already rotted away.

The upper strip was on ground that had Sesame last season, bottom was not. That is the only difference in treatment, except the larger patches of Bermuda being in the top strip (bottom had some patches I hit also). Could it be a blight or root rot that got the crop? If so, then I just have to make sure to rotate the ground, correct?

Definitely isn't the Roundup, its contact kill only. Noticed any insects? Symptoms are not armyworms, but you could have a stem borer or some such.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Top strip
    20181016_080307.jpg20181016_080230.jpg
    Lower strip20181016_080425.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Slaya; 10-16-2018 at 11:10 AM.

I have not seen any insects, and I have walked it a few times looking for army worms or something.

Sure looks like chemical damage of some sort but most probably not roundup. May have been some extra chemical in the spray lines from another application. Remember my sunflowers and dicamba debacle? Looks the same. Dang sure sucks too as the other patch looks great.

That is why I was wondering if it could be damage from something sprayed earlier like the cadre applied to the sunflowers? I can't remember if I sprayed the upper strip or lower first with the Post Emergent. I know it would have been the next thing I sprayed after the cadre, but why would it not be all dead by now?

Judging from the picture, the top strip is getting a lot more sunlight.

Seriously though, the plants in the lower picture of the top strip have curled up leaves that look a lot like the sunflowers I planted that got a double dose of post emergent where I didn't space my spraying quite right.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 10-17-2018 at 05:16 AM.

Looks chemical to me. If it were aphids or some other insects, you would see both plots affected, imho.

Both strips did get a dose of Clethodim over the top to knock down the grass. It was effective, but maybe I mixed it too hot or had some residue in the tank or lines (I cleaned it between with tank cleaner). It was planted in July and sprayed in August.

I dunno, but I plan to forgo it next season, and go with Millet or Corn exclusively on that half of the field.

Rr corn is too easy to not plant for late season doves. Plus they love the cover.

10-4, but the deer here are so thick, there's rarely any left for late season.

I quit planting it, as did several others I know in upper Charleston/ Georgetown and some in Williamsburg Co. We all experienced a blight, or smut that appeared after the first pods started to make. It was described to me as purple blight.
    Crop would look beautiful, then overnight it would start dying.

Thanks, Bohica. That is about what I have, after doing some more searching, I found an article with pictures. I believe it is either Phytophthora Blight or Dry Root Rot. Either way, Sesame is out on that field for a couple of years. I reckon it won't hurt to turn it, either.

When do you plant that here? Also what chemicals are used for weed control?
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 04-24-2019 at 06:19 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

June planting. I don't use a pre-emergent, but do disk area at least three times ahead of planting. I sprayed Clethodim over the top to knock back the grass. Planting on 36" rows was the way to go.

Will pigs leave it alone?

typically, yes
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Does anyone know where to get some. So far I have struck out trying to find some to plant this year.

I'm going to broadcast it. At a rate of 3lbs per acre how the hell is that done? Cooper Seed probably has it online.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 04-24-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.