Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planting trees for wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    What pears have y’all had the best luck with? I have tons of cover and several reliable water sources. Just wanting to “spice” up my food sources.
    I planted 4 or 5 different varieties. The goal being that they drop at different times. They were bare root but 6 or 7 ft tall.

Pears will do better here than apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Great forum, cutman has tons of knowledge in the lowcountry

Low country, stoney hill, and trophy are three I remember. I'll have to check some tags for the other pear varieties.

i have pears and the coyotes really like them. well, the ones that dont get so full of fruit that they break the limbs off.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Persimmons did well on the farm at Deep Creek, they would browse it everyday. I planted bare root sawtooths and chestnuts but the farm got sold to Brother E. before I got to see the results. I am sure probably about the same soil setup that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Persimmons did well on the farm at Deep Creek, they would browse it everyday. I planted bare root sawtooths and chestnuts but the farm got sold to Brother E. before I got to see the results. I am sure probably about the same soil setup that you have.
    Definitely will be planted a LOT of persimmons. Will be planting a lot of oaks but not sure sawtooth is the way i want to go. They produce a lot of mass but it all drops at one time. Chestnuts will be part of the plan. This will be a long term work in progress and I plan on trying assorted varieties.