Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planting trees for wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    What pears have y’all had the best luck with? I have tons of cover and several reliable water sources. Just wanting to “spice” up my food sources.
    I planted 4 or 5 different varieties. The goal being that they drop at different times. They were bare root but 6 or 7 ft tall.

Pears will do better here than apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Great forum, cutman has tons of knowledge in the lowcountry

Low country, stoney hill, and trophy are three I remember. I'll have to check some tags for the other pear varieties.

i have pears and the coyotes really like them. well, the ones that dont get so full of fruit that they break the limbs off.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Persimmons did well on the farm at Deep Creek, they would browse it everyday. I planted bare root sawtooths and chestnuts but the farm got sold to Brother E. before I got to see the results. I am sure probably about the same soil setup that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Persimmons did well on the farm at Deep Creek, they would browse it everyday. I planted bare root sawtooths and chestnuts but the farm got sold to Brother E. before I got to see the results. I am sure probably about the same soil setup that you have.
    Definitely will be planted a LOT of persimmons. Will be planting a lot of oaks but not sure sawtooth is the way i want to go. They produce a lot of mass but it all drops at one time. Chestnuts will be part of the plan. This will be a long term work in progress and I plan on trying assorted varieties.

Who is a good source of jujubes?

I have been using green tomatoe stakes, 5ft, for holding up tree tube. Can usually get them for a dollar each. should last a long time. half inch conduit works well too

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    I have been using green tomatoe stakes, 5ft, for holding up tree tube. Can usually get them for a dollar each. should last a long time. half inch conduit works well too
    I use 10 sticks of 1/2 conduit cut in half for my tree tube stakes. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeap. I talked myself it of it last winter. And with all this rain I have bamboo stakes rotting and tubes falling over. Plus you can reuse them

Do as I say not as I do.

Most of these are rotting on the bottom and broke in the wind.

Protip. If you plan to plant in a horse pasture make sure to fence it off from said horses. The tree tubes are apparently very desirable horse toys....or at least they were for one particular draft horse...it was funny the first time but got old quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.