Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planting trees for wildlife

Default Planting trees for wildlife

I bought a farm 3 years ago (several hundred acres). Had to clear cut to help pay for it so now I have a clean slate to start with. The property has about 140 acres in ag or food plots. I have started planting most of the cut overs back with a mix of longleaf and loblolly. My next step is to start planting hard and soft mast trees geared specifically for wildlife. For those of you that have tried different trees, what have y'all had the most success with in regards to survivability and more importantly use by wildlife? Sawtooths were the "magic tree" at one time but the more I see and hear about them, the less impressed I am with them.Any other oaks ya'll have had sucess with? For soft mass, I'm thinking persimmon/pear/crabapple. If it matters, the land is in Claredon County and is sandy but also has several stream bottoms running through the property.

Dunstan Chestnuts are a big hit these days. We have only planted 2 but they have done well. They are 5 years old now and produced this year
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

We can talk more about it in the am.

I've planted Sawtooths, Chinese Chestnuts, Shumard Oaks, Crabapples, and pears here. Too early to tell you the long term results.

I'd also include some swamp chestnuts in the wet areas if you don't already have some. I transplanted a few of those in the winter and they are doing really good. Just mark the seedlings now before they lose their leaves and realize it will be a while before they make any acorns. I can mark some for you if you need some.

I'd recommend Hallmans Farms in Little mountain. And tree tubes are a must. Just be prepared for the fact that the cost of the tubes will be more than the cost of the trees. Also on the stakes I'd go with 1/2" pvc instead of bamboo. I was going to do that last year, but let someone talk me out of it. Now on the trees that need to be replanted I've got to replace those. The pvc would have been reusable.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 10-15-2018 at 03:40 PM.

I’m interested in this as well.

Been reading up on Nuttall oaks and gobbler sawtooths to line some interior dikes.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Also, don't overlook the power of NWSG's. Food doesn't do much good if you have no cover.
    Last edited by Gut_Pile; 10-15-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Agree with uga above. I have probably planted 500 mast/fruit trees at our place. I prefer Chinese chestnuts over Dunstans due to cost. Chestnuts grow well and produce early. Seguins have also done well for us. I like sawtooths but understand your concerns. For cheap soft mast, I have planted persimmons. In the orchard, I have done mostly apples with a few pears. I have also planted jujubes and figs in the orchard, as well as crabapples and pears throughout select food plots.
    Carolina Counsel

What pears have y’all had the best luck with? I have tons of cover and several reliable water sources. Just wanting to “spice” up my food sources.

Think of the direction you want to go in size. You can plant a few hundred whips for the cost of a few dozen container plants.
    That won't work of fruit trees well but it does work well for many producing trees. Nrcs can help with that cost too.

Container plants produce sooner though.

I usually make a master plan when I do a project like this. Get a map and start laying out where you want them and how many.

We planted gobbler sawtooth oaks (it has a smaller acorn compared to sawtooth). Hard to tell how successful they were for wildlife, but the trees did well and produced acorns in few years.

Hallman’s has some good pear varieties for wildlife. Trophy is one that I recall offhand, but there are several.
    Carolina Counsel

Pear trees are a waste of time. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Pear trees are a waste of time. Ask me how I know.
    April frost always end up getting them?

Correct.

Trophy pears will bloom in early feb. stupid.

Tell me bout these Dunkirk chestnuts

They were “developed “ back in the day when they crossed a blight resistant American chestnut with a Chinese chestnut. They aren’t immune to the blight, but can tolerate it a lot better than an American chestnut.

We've got most of those planted, but we also have some jujubes. The deer seem to like them, but I loove them

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Also, don't overlook the power of NWSG's. Food doesn't do much good if you have no cover.
    That acronym is analogous to wildfire for some in these parts!
    FWIW, live oak are the best hard mast producers in the shortest time-frame over 30 years experience.
    And the wildlife usage speaks for itself...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Bwahhh...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE