Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monarchs!

Default Monarchs!

This afternoon I noticed some butterflies feeding on a patch of Florida Plusey in one of my fields. I’m not talking 1 or 2...I’m talking 20+. So i went over to confirm my suspicion...and sure enough it was a bunch of Monarch butterflies. First time I have seen them on my property or really anywhere in quite a while. I was able to get close enough for a few pics. As I was walking back to the golf cart I looked up and saw tons of them flying as high as I could see. Did I witness part of their migration?

Last edited by Johnny Reb; 10-15-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: To make MtnMan happy

I'm sure of it. My wife's grandmother was an incredible lady. She and my wife's grandfather met when they were in the Marine Corps in the 40's. Her passion was Monarch butterflies. She kept a patch of milkweed (their preferred food) and would capture a few of the caterpillars and raise them in individual Mason jars with mesh over the openings and then release them at maturity - always making a spectacle of it for my wife the other grandchildren. I remember going to their house and there being Mason jars lining the window sills in their kitchen, each of them with a chrysalis inside.
    Cool stuff.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

" confirm my suspension " What did you do to get suspended ?

They got s long journey ahead!
    Windows Down!

Probably...anyone who believes in evolution needs to read this...

https://www.fws.gov/midwest/news/Mon...ionFall17.html

Every each spring and summer many generations of Monarch butterflies that have about a 4 to 6 week life span with each generation moving further northward. Then, at the northern peak, the monarchs hatch a "super generation" of ultra-sturdy and long-lived Monarchs that will migrate south and overwinter to begin the process again next spring. It's incredible.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 10-15-2018 at 08:36 AM.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    " confirm my suspension " What did you do to get suspended ?
    Typo corrected.

I did some reading on them this morning and saw where their population is down 80% from that of the mid-1990's. This due to loss of Milkweed food supply and loss of habitat both in the US and primarily in their wintering grounds in Mexico.

I watched one fly across Lake Murray this morning. Amazing that folks don't believe in God and that He created what we enjoy in the outdoors.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

We were on Edisto last year in late October and witnessed this. Countless monarchs.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Amazing

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I've noticed a bunch around my place the last 3 or 4 days
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Saw some today as well. Berkeley and Clarendon counties.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Their caterpillar feed exclusively on milkweed, hence the milkweed butterfly. They overwinter in one area of Mexico. Neat deal. Do an image search on Monarch wintering grounds. There's more butterflies there than you can imagine.

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Jon the field behind the house has been full of them the past week. The grandboy and I take a golf cart ride every morning about 10 and go look at the butterfly's and check for deer tracks.
    Last edited by E. Taylor; 10-16-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    E T

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Their caterpillar feed exclusively on milkweed, hence the milkweed butterfly. They overwinter in one area of Mexico. Neat deal. Do an image search on Monarch wintering grounds. There's more butterflies there than you can imagine.

He'd have better luck with a shotgun rather than a rifle.

That was Oct 2nd

Sunday we noticed them in one of our fields at the club and it was like you said a lot

Used to see large flocks of them years ago come fall when it was migratin time. Not anymore I don't think they are doing too well .
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Saw a bunch the other morning.
    Windows Down!

Don't be fooled...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.