Thread: Looking For Paw-Paw And Found Some Chickens

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Looking For Paw-Paw And Found Some Chickens

I went out today looking for a new paw-paw patch. The land where my old faithful patch was got sold so I no longer have permission to ramble there. The trees are easier to find this time of the year because the leaves start to yellow early, and they are very big leaves.

Anyhow I spotted some promising looking leaves on a distant hillside and when I made my way there I realized I was amongst a massive paw-paw patch. The fruits are gone now but next year I'll be feasting on this place if I can beat the squirrels and other critters to them. Once I got into the patch I saw an old oak log laying on the ground and low-n-behold it was glowing like it was on fire with large shelves of Laetiporus sulphureus - Chicken of the woods. Bright and beautiful. My camera doesn't do it justice. Some of the wings are 12" to 14" across, heavy and thick. Fresh too cause when I snapped them off the log water started pouring out of the bases.

Gonna eat good tonight!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

So you do make it out of your basement/bunker.

Those look tasty. Foraging is a great activity, especially since you can do it in groups and involve the youngins.

Cool. I haven’t seen a paw paw in years. Do you share?

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    So you do make it out of your basement/bunker.

Those look tasty. Foraging is a great activity, especially since you can do it in groups and involve the youngins.
    That's pretty cruel dude. You might get a ball peen hammer upside the head talking that smack.

Oh.....

pretty good looking pics old man. Looks like a good day in the woods, I bet your walker came in pretty handy while crossing them logs.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 10-12-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Haha. I was raised up taught not to screw with an old man. The older I get the more sense it makes.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    That's pretty cruel dude. You might get a ball peen hammer upside the head talking that smack.
    He'd be fine, I only use the handle when teaching a young'un how to respect. I save the hammer head for darker more serious things.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Cool. I haven’t seen a paw paw in years. Do you share?
    I'll share how to find them. I ain't telling where my spots are.

Most people on here have probably walked right under the trees when they were in the woods, even tree with fruit on them, but never noticed them. The fruit is oblong and green the same color as the leaves and they are easy to miss if you aren't looking close.

Next spring whilst y'all turkey hunting you can keep an eye out for the Zebra Swallowtail Butterfly. If you see any of those around you'll know there are paw-paw trees close by. The caterpillar of the Zebra Swallowtail feeds exclusively on the paw-paw. The males cruise the paw-paw patches hunting females also. So if you see one, look for the smallish trees with big leaves.

But you can also find the trees/patches this time of the year. For any of you that ain't never had no paw-paws or don't know where to get none now is a really good time to find the trees whilst you are in the woods chasing deer. Make a note of them and go back late next summer and get the fruit.

Just look for smallish 15'-25' trees with the biggest leaves of any native tree we have here. You will be standing in a bunch of small knee high to waist high suckers growing around, again with the big leaves. They form patches with a spreading root system that sprout little ones all over the place.

Now when I say large leaves, I'm talking pretty dang large. That makes them noticeable if you are paying attention. They look more like the leaves of a tropical tree. The trees are more of an understory type tree. You can find them in soft, moist, well drained soil usually under large hardwoods in hollows (not bottoms) or near creeks but slightly uphill beside the creeks. They seem to like the same kind of areas, slightly up the hillside, as beech, hickory and tulip poplars. Again the leaves are very large, 12" to 13" long.

I broke a twig off one of the waist high suckers in the paw-paw patch today just to show people what I mean by the leaves being large.

Here's a shot I took of the leaves with a regular sized dinner fork for comparison:

Thanks. Looking forward to finding some.

I know where a pile of those paw paw trees are. What do you do with the fruit?

Eat it, taste like bananas.

Are those what some people(me) used to call indian bananas? Big brown leaves on the ground beneath the tree? Never thought to eat that big piece of green fruit, seemed like it would either be too ripe, or brown and rotting on the ground. If a deer, rabbit or squirrel would let it rot, seemed to be a good idea for me to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Are those what some people(me) used to call indian bananas? Big brown leaves on the ground beneath the tree? Never thought to eat that big piece of green fruit, seemed like it would either be too ripe, or brown and rotting on the ground. If a deer, rabbit or squirrel would let it rot, seemed to be a good idea for me to as well.
    Man you didn't grow up hearing this song? I still remember my grandma singing it when I was a little chap.

The Yankees says "Nellie", we always said "pretty little Susie".

Yankee version

Even Burl Ives was singing it long before any of us was born:
    http://bit.ly/2yC9tVF

I et some of them a few weeks ago...they're fairly common along creek banks around here.
    if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....

I went looking for Pee Paw years ago. I didn't find chickens.

paw paw's dont make fruit every year....at least mine dont.

Johnson is a Paw-Paw pro.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

20181021_091752.jpgMergie is this the same thing?
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

No. Those are a type of turkey tail. Some are used medicinally but they are not table fare.

Dammit Margie I’ve known that song since I was a kid and never knew what the hell it was about. Pretty sure I know where some of those trees are now too.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    No. Those are a type of turkey tail. Some are used medicinally but they are not table fare.
    So that's why those little green men with pitch forks were walking in and out of the campfire last night. Live and learn I guess
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

I'll trade u a couple of women with some of their teeth for some of those shrooms.
    if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....