Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got some access!

Speaking of airports, how close are you to one I can fly into and join you? Asking for ME
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Denver International is 2.5 hours away.

Finally figured out I needed to cut some brush and tote it into chest deep water and hide right in plain sight. Layout blind wasn’t getting me where I needed to be. Went out today after my dental implant surgery, waded in as deep as I could with a pile of weeds, five blocks and some Vicodin...hid in and amongst them, and was able to be picky shooting ducks landing on my head. Got my first Red Heads, a gadwall hen, and three green heads. First split is over, so I’m going to shift my attention back to the Sandhill Cranes. Anybody got any advice on hunting those wary, unpredictable bastages, I’m all ears!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Would trade a crane hunt for a cinnamon hunt, just saying!

Very nice.

A few things here.

From a few posts back, good on ya for recognizing your capabilities with a shotgun and showing restraint on shots beyond your effective range.

Second, where are you these days? Colorado, or Wyoming, cant remember.

What are the limits there? These all solo hunts?

Keep the updates coming on your subsequent excursions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

That's awesome!
    "run and gun guide service"

I was going to suggest a gilly suit top and walk out to the middle with 6 dekes. It sounds like you did something similar and had some success. Great job.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    A few things here.

From a few posts back, good on ya for recognizing your capabilities with a shotgun and showing restraint on shots beyond your effective range.

Second, where are you these days? Colorado, or Wyoming, cant remember.

What are the limits there? These all solo hunts?

Keep the updates coming on your subsequent excursions.
    Wyoming. All solo hunts, as everyone I know who hunts here is currently chasing mule deer, elk, and goats. Limits are 6 per day with 5 mallard of which two can be hens, two redheads, two cans, two pintail, three scaup, 3 woodies and two teal that don't count toward the overall duck limit. I think the dark goose limit is 3 in this one small piece of the central flyway portion of the state. Three sandhill cranes per day. I let my ducks sit for 5-6 days in the fridge or in a cool spot on a concrete floor to let them tenderize, so that was all the ducks I shot over a four day period...well, minus one that a hawk stole and one that I must have dropped on the way out the day I nearly froze...pile of feathers says he didn't go to waste!
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-19-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Roger that. That's cool that the teal don't count in your normal limit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Yup. There is no early teal season here...I guess they know their ducks, because they didn’t show up here until last week of September, and cold and snow hasn’t budged them since they arrived. Everything is strange out here.

Rock on man!
    Genesis 9;2

Any more hunts recently?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Any more hunts recently?
    Currently in Ohio trying to prove to myself and a few others that going back to traditional gear wasn’t a bonehead move.
    Been having some close calls that are making me think I shoulda gone the other direction and bought a Raven crossbow, but I really want to kill one of these Ohio slobs with this longbow. Weather has absolutely sucked, but it looks decent for the weekend.