Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WY vs MT

Default WY vs MT

How to and where would you start OOS hunting for larger game (out west)?

I've had the itch for a long time but never had the means to scratch it. All these awesome pictures and stories of people going out west and doing cool shit has gotten me in prep mode. So, where would you start? WY, MT or somewhere else? Elk and big horn will be in the cards one day but I'm not going out west to learn on elk and it's my understanding getting drawn for big horn is literally like winning the lottery. I can start with a antelope and mule deer and go from there. So were would one start? I'll call fish and game at some point but I'm looking for high level overview of the point system stuff. Do you need points? Or does that just help reduce fees? Can you buy a regular hunting license without points? I see you can buy left over draw hunt tags where available for different species. For those that go regularly, is MT and WY point system similar? And then there seems to be different rules for federal land vs state land vs private farmers helping hunters land vs walk-in land vs BLM land, vs wildlife management land. It's honestly just confusing and the color coded maps to color blind people just make it that much more confusing.

And...what to take? Clothes, boots, backpack, GPS, bino's, etc. The extent of my deer hunting gear is all I need for SC where I typically hunt in the swamp or fields where shots are not over 100 yards. Walk in a hundreds to the tree stand, sit, sweat, shoot, drive four wheeler in, haul deer to processor. No real cold weather stuff and no real hiking stuff. So I need to start collecting.

Tips, tricks, advice and opinions...Go.
    Last edited by reeltight; 10-08-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Get on a stair master. Other than that, it’s just time and money. Load the truck and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Get on a stair master. Other than that, it’s just time and money. Load the truck and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with you in general...time and money. I’m in the stage of spending time prepping so I have more enjoyment out of money spent

Rokslide.com

good info there
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I’ve hunted both states , Montana by far the best with it’s wide variety of game and some great fishing!!

I’ve hunted and fished both half a dozen times each. To suggest one is superior to the other is laughable. Both awesome with lots of public and private opportunities.
    Carolina Counsel

I choose to pay the extra $$ and get a guide. Takes all the headache out if it. All I have to worry about is saving the money and being able to hit my target. Depending on the hunt, get my fat ass into shape.

This hunt I’m on now requires no conditioning. We rode around in trucks glassing miles of hill country. You may have to walk a little for a stalk but not too bad. The rain did make it interesting, we had to drag the goats to the truck because we couldn’t get around good. That did make my fat ass breathe hard!!

The guide took care of all our tags and license. I’m putting in for points for an elk tag now. Should be approx 3 years.

It all boils down to where you go and if you want to do it on your own. Most of the BLM land is land locked by private ranches, so without a trespass fee you’re screwed. Yes the guides are expensive, but you’re paying for their experience and land connections to greatly increase your success.

Ive wanted to go for awhile. Always been nervous about heading that far by myself and something going wrong. Never could make it work with others to be able to plan and be able to work out schedules. Rockslide is full of great info. I decided tjis year to put in for a pount and plan to go next year whether it be for a doe buck cow or bull. Everything you read about it is to just go and learn. Youll figure it out or you can pay a guide. I had a cow elk tag kinda fall in my lap this year. I tried to talk myself out of it that im out of shape or dont have the money etc but my wife said i needed to go. Meeting a fellow scducker out there thats killed elk and knows what he is doing and plan to have a blast. Im perfectly fine with tag soup because ive never been west of Arkansas and it will be an experience in itself. On top of that it is a muzzleloader tag so that will add to the challenge. No slinging lead at 300 yds. Im stoked. All you gotta do is make the first step.

Best advice ive read is pick an animal, pick a state, research a unit and decide what weapon you wanna use and put in for it. There are lots of places that have leftover doe tags or cow tags that you can buy over the counter. So instead of waiting a few years to go you can go every year after something and learnnthe area for when you draw the big buck tag

Ive bought a pair of boots, some wool base layers and a nice rangefinder. Stuff i can use here for deer and ducks anyway.

Like ive said i hadnt been yet but thats the stuff ive learned thus far. There are lots of guys on here that have been and are helpful and have lots of info. Ive also noticed that folks seem alot more open with info and helping than with any other hunting and are very positive to newbies. Hope that helps.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Thanks guys...I'll check out rockslide and start reading up there.

Does anyone subscribe to the WY wildlife magazine? I get the SC wildlife magazine and enjoy reading it. Just signed up for the WY mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    I choose to pay the extra $$ and get a guide. Takes all the headache out if it. All I have to worry about is saving the money and being able to hit my target. Depending on the hunt, get my fat ass into shape.

This hunt I’m on now requires no conditioning. We rode around in trucks glassing miles of hill country. You may have to walk a little for a stalk but not too bad. The rain did make it interesting, we had to drag the goats to the truck because we couldn’t get around good. That did make my fat ass breathe hard!!

The guide took care of all our tags and license. I’m putting in for points for an elk tag now. Should be approx 3 years.

It all boils down to where you go and if you want to do it on your own. Most of the BLM land is land locked by private ranches, so without a trespass fee you’re screwed. Yes the guides are expensive, but you’re paying for their experience and land connections to greatly increase your success.
    Your mule deer look great. How does that outfitters elk success look?

I started buying points in Wyoming because I picked antelope as my first foray. I don’t think that is a bad plan, but I would suggest buying in more than one state. Montana changed the way they handled pints a few years back, and it was too confusing for me then, and I was lazy and went the Wyoming route.

Im terribly torn on what I want to do myself. I have 5 elk and 5 mulie points now.

OnX maps and goHunt subscriptions are invaluable. And start buying preference points. MT just closed, but WY is open until 10.31.

What are the preference points and how do they work? This seems to big my biggest miss-understanding...granted I'm in the early stages but have no concept of how it works.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    Your mule deer look great. How does that outfitters elk success look?

Damn good!! Basically 100% for opportunity. Great bulls to boot. My guide said to get my ass in shape for that hunt.

He said with my long range capabilities it will not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    What are the preference points and how do they work? This seems to big my biggest miss-understanding...granted I'm in the early stages but have no concept of how it works.
    Its just like a draw duck hunt in sc. you apply you dont get drawn you get a point. The more points the better luck you have of drawing. I believe it goHunt that has the units and the average anount of pounts it takes to draw. Typically from what ive read, the units with guaranteed draw has limited access to the public land and tge harder ones have more land and bigger better animals and quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Perfect. Thank you sir. I saw a couple videos but nothing that detailed.

Some states have bonus points. Others have preference points.
    Bonus points are like an extra chance at a lottery. Preference points give you a one up. Basically if you have preference points you will get a tag over someone with less points every time. Level with 3 points get tags, if there are tags left, then it’s level 2, and then so on and so on.

Wyoming also has special licenses. Basically you pay extra and your preference points go a little further due to the extra price. Less people apply through that set.

I’ve hunted OTC elk and deer in CO and drawn deer and antelope tags in WY.
    Start buying points ASAP. Decent areas for elk and deer will require them.
    Antelope is the easiest, least expensive and a good pace to start.
    I’m a a DIY guy, just cause I’m hardheaded and cheap. You don’t need any special gear, the stuff you use now will be fine.
    Get comfortable boots, good binos and a good backpack. Do you research. Decide what type of hunt you want, I’m satisfied with a nice representative animal that I killed on my terms. There are no secret spots with the internet, but persistence will pay off. I take time every time I’m out there to look at other units. OnX is good and I use it so navigate and see property lines. There is no substitute for putting eyes on it. I looked at a group of goats on an adjacent piece of BLM that is difficult to access. BUT there is access if your willing to walk all a couple of miles and there were several bucks, two that were really nice. Its in a 100% draw unit.
    Last edited by FLS; 10-08-2018 at 09:50 PM.