Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .30-06 split shell casing

Remington has has issues since Soros acquired the company, QC has gone to the shi**er. I can buy new Reminton brass and have 3 to 4 bad pieces out of 50, that's the reason I try and use other brass, think Lapua.
    Last edited by rrconductor; 10-08-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Alpha tops Lapua both are good to go.

Michael, honestly with using a bright light if you didn't see a dark spot or scar in the chamber your golden.

I have had a cartridge jump up out of mag box late after the bolt bolt passed case rim which caused a depression down the brass akin to a trough in that same spot.

You may not have done it upon that exact chambering. However, As you mentioned, if you are one to push down the cartridge ( mag box loaded, nothing in chamber, bolt forward) then run the bolt over the top of the unchambered round to keep the chamber empty, then over a period of only two or three times of doing this cycle you have will have " possibly" created a weak spot in exactly that same position. This would depend on spring pressure / tension strength pushing up from box mag.

Example, you hunt three times and don't pull the trigger and push the brass down and rack the bolt and well there ya are buddy. Anything else would have either split at the neck or shoulder.

In short if you have been doing this and have to push down moderately hard on the round you want unchambered probably meaning your running full mag capacity then you created a weak spot that blew out.
    Last edited by Strick9; 10-08-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Alpha tops Lapua both are good to go.

Michael, honestly with using a bright light if you didn't see a dark spot or scar in the chamber your golden.

I have had a cartridge jump up out of mag box late after the bolt bolt passed case rim which caused a depression down the brass akin to a trough in that same spot.

You may not have done it upon that exact chambering. However, As you mentioned, if you are one to push down the cartridge ( mag box loaded, nothing in chamber, bolt forward) then run the bolt over the top of the unchambered round to keep the chamber empty, then over a period of only two or three times of doing this cycle you have will have " possibly" created a weak spot in exactly that same position. This would depend on spring pressure / tension strength pushing up from box mag.

Example, you hunt three times and don't pull the trigger and push the brass down and rack the bolt and well there ya are buddy. Anything else would have either split at the neck or shoulder.

In short if you have been doing this and have to push down moderately hard on the round you want unchambered probably meaning your running full mag capacity then you created a weak spot that blew out.
    Now that makes perfect sense.
    Those bullets have been in the magazine since I checked zero on that gun last time.
    I don't deer hunt with that gun much at all but there's been a couple times over the past several months when we've gone to the river to work on deer hunting stuff and I'll take that gun in the truck and bolt one in in case we see pigs. Then as you said I push it back down and close the bolt over them. But I dropped it off at the smith yesterday afternoon. He checked head spacing while I was there and it was good. Said his gut feeling was that everything was just a weak spot in the brass but if I left the gun and a few bullets with him he'd clean it good and also shoot it a few times just to make sure he didn't notice anything funny going on. He's worked on several other guns for me in the past and always steered me in the right direction so I figured his fee of $35 was money well spent.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    The powder has corroded the brass from the inside for some reason. I've had my reloads do that before.
    More than likely, no issue with the gun.

Get you some new ammo and go kill something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    The only way powder will corrode brass on the inside if it was reallllly old powder (wwii era) or it was a bad lot without the proper stabilizers in the powder, or you have moisture getting inside your loaded round which is hard to believe unless it is sitting underwater, or excess of oxygen getting inside the brass. Today’s powders just don’t corrode the inside of brass.

Leftover powder residue from firing will cause corrosion if it sits there long enough. That’s why we clean brass. If you have that much powder residue left in your case, you aren’t loading properly and probably using a powder that is way to slow and chances are you are way under safe operating pressures.

The OPs brass was previously damaged and had a soft spot in the case. If there was any pressure issues, it would have blew the case head off (weakest link) and probably locked the bolt.
    I just wanna know how you recovered the powder after you fired it and were able to tell that it was what caused corrosion. That’s nothing short of incredible
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Let me say, I assumed that's what corroded it.
    Maybe not, hell I don't know.
    Then again, I didn't shoot them and probably can find em laying around somewhere.

They did in fact develop a hole in the side of the brass for some reason. Similar but maybe not exactly to what the op has going on here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

I had these recently and havent gotten around to sending them back yet:

Notice the split in the necks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this one in a box I bought.

IMG_0676.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    I had these recently and havent gotten around to sending them back yet:

Notice the split in the necks.

What brand was this?

Name brand factory ammo with split necks? Or is that some type of remanned ammo ?
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Looks like some Hornady SSTs. Could be wrong tho.

284 Cal nosler ballistic tips are red...

Exactly why i said i could be wrong...

Default .30-06 split shell casing

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Looks like some Hornady SSTs. Could be wrong tho.
    .308 straight out the box. I was hesitant to go name brand bashing bc ppl might get offended that I mentioned I had this happen.

They have sent me a shipping label and want them back I just have to make a special trip to a UPS that accepts ammunition...

Edit: I just happened to notice this after I had already used ~half the box. The rounds had light corrosion from handling and it caught my eye. Upon further look I saw one was cracked and then found those 6 out of 10 left or so. I could have/may have shot rounds that were damaged but I never noticed and I rarely pick up casings off my range.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 10-09-2018 at 12:08 PM.

4516D0B8-36D9-4E39-A686-AA8CED8C720E.jpg

So what happen to the one on the right?

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    4516D0B8-36D9-4E39-A686-AA8CED8C720E.jpg

So what happen to the one on the right?
    Case head separation from not bumping your shoulder back when load

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    .308 straight out the box. I was hesitant to go name brand bashing bc ppl might get offended that I mentioned I had this happen.

They have sent me a shipping label and want them back I just have to make a special trip to a UPS that accepts ammunition...

Edit: I just happened to notice this after I had already used ~half the box. The rounds had light corrosion from handling and it caught my eye. Upon further look I saw one was cracked and then found those 6 out of 10 left or so. I could have/may have shot rounds that were damaged but I never noticed and I rarely pick up casings off my range.

I just picked up a box in .270, 140gr, Ill pay attention to them.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Exactly why i said i could be wrong...
    Looks like you're right

The one question I do have tho is the bullet seating depth on those of yours IG85, they are all different... I wonder if someone reloaded them and then stuck them in that box and returned them...

Edit: Ive never really payed much attention to the bullet seating depth on factory ammo but I would assume it would be closer than that.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 10-09-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Probably same COAL. Different brass lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Probably same COAL. Different brass lengths.
    10-4. You most likely know MUCH more about reloading and shooting than I do.