Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .30-06 split shell casing

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Case head separation from not bumping your shoulder back when load
    Close but nope.

Default .30-06 split shell casing

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    The one question I do have tho is the bullet seating depth on those of yours IG85, they are all different... I wonder if someone reloaded them and then stuck them in that box and returned them...

Edit: Ive never really payed much attention to the bullet seating depth on factory ammo but I would assume it would be closer than that.
    I started wondering the same thing honestly.

Edit: I do not reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 10-09-2018 at 02:22 PM.

B, the four to the left of that one are going to do the same thing, if that line I am seeing on the four left of split brass is indeed there. My guess is full length sizing die not set up right and or not full stroking.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    B, the four to the left of that one are going to do the same thing, if that line I am seeing on the four left of split brass is indeed there. My guess is full length sizing die not set up right and or not full stroking.
    Close!

Headspace issue.

How far off
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    How far off
    Not much. 2-4 thou.

Ok, is it a headspace issue from loading or does the rifle actually have the problem?
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Maybe I am wrong but I thought the OP was shooting factory ammo and all these analysis start coming for hand loads. I looked at the case and my first thought was a bad case from Remington since there was a dimpled primer but not flatted.The dimpled primer to me would be a sign of firing pin protrusion if it happened every shot or the primer was not seated properly.

Case failure happens more than most know, lot's of folks never pick up their empties, quality of brass makes difference.

I would not be afraid to shoot that gun again with a factory load, I think it was a simple case failure, Remington is known for that.

I say all this with tongue in cheek since I graduated with a degree in Gunsmithing from The CO School of Trades in 1976, and feel like I have some knowledge about guns.

I built several rifles, but the one I liked the best was a .35 Whelen on a Ruger 77 in late 1975 early '76 with a classic French Walnut stock before a lot of you chaps were born. I designed the classic stock for Winslow Arms when they were in the old GM dealership building in Camden in 1977, Albritton bucked me all the way but Frank said it would sell.

I think ya'll are over thinking this case issue. Remington brass is just not up to par.

It's ok. We've temporarily digressed.

FWIW, my rifle checked out fine (as many of y'all said it would). The gunsmith called me this afternoon and said it was ready.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    FWIW, my rifle checked out fine (as many of y'all said it would). The gunsmith called me this afternoon and said it was ready.
    Well that's good

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Ok, is it a headspace issue from loading or does the rifle actually have the problem?
    Headspace issue. You aren’t going to get case head seperation from not bumping the shoulders enough. Not bumping the shoulders will cause not enough headspace and normally won’t chamber. If you have a tight chamber, your shoulder may not grow at all.

If you bump your shoulders to much, you run the risk of case head seperation due to excess headspace.

I see what you're saying