Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .30-06 split shell casing

Default .30-06 split shell casing

so this afternoon I was checking the zero on some rifles like I always do the Sunday before rifle season opens. I went to shoot the .30-06 (savage 110) and noticed that I could strongly smell the gunpowder after one of the shots but I didn't notice anything else unusual. If I remember correctly I shot it one more time after that and it seemed fine .I finished shooting and was picking up the brass and noticed that one of the casings from the .30-06 had a split up the side. Anyone else ever had this happen before? Was shooting 150gr Remington Core-Lokts and have shot them out of this rifle since I got it new about 8yrs ago. I'm planning to drop it off to get the gun checked out by a gunsmith before I shoot it again.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Rifle is more than likely fine if you continued to shoot it. Brass cases fail from time to time, especially that cheaper stuff.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I had several Remington .270 cases split years ago so I never bought another Remington bullet.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Let's see the head on that brass
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Looks odd to me buddy, like the split is recessed, was it hard to chamber, rake it with the bolt first by chance? But yes sometimes brass fails. Look inside your chamber with a light to make sure it didn't fire scar the chamber wall.
    Genesis 9;2

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Strick,
    I didn't notice anything odd when I chambered it. To my knowledge the casing was not damaged prior to this but the bullets were already in the magazine when I took the gun from the safe so I did not look at them prior to shooting.
    I've removed the bolt and looked down the barrel and chamber and everything looks fine but I've made up to mind to let a smith look at it as well. I don't mind paying for the extra peace of mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 10-07-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Remington bullets suck. They used to not suck.

Honestly I think it's fine. I don't see any pressure signs on that brass that makes me anxious. Quality control for Remington is sketchy at best these days. Shoulder was probably a little bit off and caused a slight headspace issue. OR it could be an anomaly in the brass regarding construction.

Let the gunsmith check it out if you're worried. If you're still worried, quit shooting corelokts.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Honestly I think it's fine. I don't see any pressure signs on that brass that makes me anxious. Quality control for Remington is sketchy at best these days. Shoulder was probably a little bit off and caused a slight headspace issue. OR it could be an anomaly in the brass regarding construction.

Let the gunsmith check it out if you're worried. If you're still worried, quit shooting corelokts.
    I've seen too many pictures of guns with split/blown barrels to make me want to take a chance. And I will admit switching ammo has crossed my mind several times today. Hate this happened as the core-lokts have always grouped well in this gun for me, performed good on deer, and I've got a decent supply built up.

If that Savage (and you) can group Corelokts, it can group better ammo way tighter.

So, did you notice anything else different when you were shooting or was your first clue when you picked up the brass? Sticky bolt lift? Unusual noise when you shoot?

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

The powder has corroded the brass from the inside for some reason. I've had my reloads do that before.
    More than likely, no issue with the gun.

Get you some new ammo and go kill something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

It seemed like I could smell gunpowder stronger than usual on one of the shots and there may have been a slight variance in the way it sounded. no noticeable difference when working the bolt. I was letting my brass kick out to the side and picked it all up at the end so I can't 100% confirm that casing to the odd smelling/sounding shout but I would imagine it has to be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    The powder has corroded the brass from the inside for some reason. I've had my reloads do that before.
    More than likely, no issue with the gun.

Get you some new ammo and go kill something.

The only way powder will corrode brass on the inside if it was reallllly old powder (wwii era) or it was a bad lot without the proper stabilizers in the powder, or you have moisture getting inside your loaded round which is hard to believe unless it is sitting underwater, or excess of oxygen getting inside the brass. Today’s powders just don’t corrode the inside of brass.

Leftover powder residue from firing will cause corrosion if it sits there long enough. That’s why we clean brass. If you have that much powder residue left in your case, you aren’t loading properly and probably using a powder that is way to slow and chances are you are way under safe operating pressures.

The OPs brass was previously damaged and had a soft spot in the case. If there was any pressure issues, it would have blew the case head off (weakest link) and probably locked the bolt.

Yeah, you are probably right....my cases didn't crack when fired like this.

Either way, it's an ammo issue, not a gun issue. New ammo, and should be gtg.

Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    Yeah, you are probably right....my cases didn't crack when fired like this.

Either way, it's an ammo issue, not a gun issue. New ammo, and should be gtg.

If your cases cracked like this, then you have a loading issue or piss poor weak brass. It wasn’t your powder corroding the inside of it.

Its factory ammo B

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Its factory ammo B
    Yeah there is a high probability that the brass was previously damaged. I’d make sure the chamber is good which it probably is and rock on.

I hear you. But those mushroom looking barrels are from obstructions in the barrel.

I'm not a fan of corelokts. I agree with SW that they used to be better. But I'd tend to agree with David. Looks like the catridge was damaged there. It could have just been weak internally, but that seems an odd place to me. In my limited reloading experience I think the pressure would have been more at the neck if it was too much powder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I've seen too many pictures of guns with split/blown barrels to make me want to take a chance. And I will admit switching ammo has crossed my mind several times today. Hate this happened as the core-lokts have always grouped well in this gun for me, performed good on deer, and I've got a decent supply built up.

And factory ammo isn't perfect. I had a box of Hornady pistol ammo that had a primer in backwards. Had another box of federal ammo that had the bullet seated upside down.