Thread: Venison snack sticks in dehydrator, How Long ???

Default Venison snack sticks in dehydrator, How Long ???

Bought me a dehydrator today to try some of these snack sticks on it instead of using oven or smoker .

Actually will do some out of deer roasts later on just getting a feel for this thing

I have it set on 160 degrees.

How long do I leave it on, I have read about 4 hours but not sure

Also when I get ready to do actual jerky how long will I leave it on for that too

A dehydrator for roasts? A dehydrator is great for jerky but you're going to make a small rock out of a medium sized deer roast. When you smoke a roast, you have to take measures to keep it from drying out/dehydrating.

It may do the job on snack sticks but I'd still go with a smoker for the flavor. When I do summer sausage, I don't try to dry it out but rather get it to an internal temperature of about 165 degrees. That takes four of five hours on a smoker that gets to 225-250 degrees. The summer sausage is about 2.5" in diameter. Sticks would cook much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    A dehydrator for roasts? A dehydrator is great for jerky but you're going to make a small rock out of a medium sized deer roast. When you smoke a roast, you have to take measures to keep it from drying out/dehydrating.

It may do the job on snack sticks but I'd still go with a smoker for the flavor. When I do summer sausage, I don't try to dry it out but rather get it to an internal temperature of about 165 degrees. That takes four of five hours on a smoker that gets to 225-250 degrees. The summer sausage is about 2.5" in diameter. Sticks would cook much quicker.
    No not doing deer roasts on dehydrator, just thinking of having some taking some roasts and slicing them thin and making whole muscle jerky later

Right now just doing the snack sticks

I have been making summer sausage for years and that I put in my smoker just trying something different

Are you putting your snack sticks in casings or just ground meat out of a jerky gun using the small adapter and Squirting it out on the treys
    Reason for asking I just made some jerky out of ground meat and use the flat adapter and was thinking of trying the round one next time

Ground meat in shooter and squirted it out on trays

I used the flat end and not the round one, have both

200deg for 5 hours
    or until internal is 160

echo
    echo
    echo
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Not sure it’s even worth putting the ground me in a shooter. Next time I’m going to try just flattening it with a rolling pin.