Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Bear Hunting (mountains)

Default North Carolina Bear Hunting (mountains)

I live about 20 minutes away from a few thousand acres of public land, and about 45 minutes from hundreds of thousands of acres of public land. I might try to get on some dog hunts for bear, but that's not high on my list. I want to kill a bear (rifle) in the mountains without bait or dogs. I already know it's going to be a chore. Anyone on here have experience bear hunting without bait or dogs in Appalachian Mountains? I'll take all of the pointers I can get.

Planning on walking a good bit, looking for food (white oaks mostly) and bear sign along ridges, in the next week.

You can hear them breaking branches this time of year to get the acorns on the ground. Locals call it "lapping"...

there was a really awesome pubic land bear hunt video posted awhile back (archery). maybe someone can find it. Tennessee mountains i think.

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, it was Arkansas.

yep. clay newborn

See if you can find a white oak ridge with acorns.

I'd look for bears. Preferably a big one. Close to the truck.

In all seriousness this sounds like a blast. Good luck. You are living it up Jacob! I told Kevin the other day he needs to get on your level. So I can tag along.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I saw a bear today while working (North of hwy 11). Turned around and he was crossing about 50 yds behind me where I had just walked.

He biggest Blackbears in the world are in eastern NC

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I saw a bear today while working (North of hwy 11). Turned around and he was crossing about 50 yds behind me where I had just walked.
    My wife saw a small bear 200 yards from our house today. It crossed the road about 20 yards in front of her when she was taking Woodrow to school.

I might have to bait some behind the house. I’d rather kill one in the woods though.

Hunting for them on public land in the mountains of NC is going to be hard. I'm not saying you won't kill one but it will be very difficult. I hunt up around Robbinsville every October with a bunch of friends and they use dogs. From what I have learned over the years bears up there are never still they travel constantly 24/7. Add in the factor that most of them are also chased by dogs tends to make them skittish. Like I said before I'm not saying it's impossible but will be very hard. You might get lucky if you get way off the beaten path miles back in the public ground to find one. Try to find the food and you might get lucky. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    I'd look for bears. Preferably a big one. Close to the truck.

In all seriousness this sounds like a blast. Good luck. You are living it up Jacob! I told Kevin the other day he needs to get on your level. So I can tag along.
    It sounds fun on paper ... might change my mind after a couple thousand feet in elevation change!

Quote Originally Posted by joelt1971 View Post
    Hunting for them on public land in the mountains of NC is going to be hard. I'm not saying you won't kill one but it will be very difficult. I hunt up around Robbinsville every October with a bunch of friends and they use dogs. From what I have learned over the years bears up there are never still they travel constantly 24/7. Add in the factor that most of them are also chased by dogs tends to make them skittish. Like I said before I'm not saying it's impossible but will be very hard. You might get lucky if you get way off the beaten path miles back in the public ground to find one. Try to find the food and you might get lucky. Best of luck

Oh yeah, don’t expect it to be easy at all, and know it’s a long shot. Hopefully the deer will cooperate in those areas a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    He biggest Blackbears in the world are in eastern NC
    Yes they are....got a buddy that's got a lot of land up there in hyde county . Mostly duck impoundments but has some upland too and they kill some monster black bears .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by joelt1971 View Post
    Post up some pics from a bear hunt with dogs if y'all go this year, I would love to see those.

I'd like to kill a bear and a mountain lion with a pack of dogs.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 10-03-2018 at 08:50 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    #poopbear
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I live about 20 minutes away from a few thousand acres of public land, and about 45 minutes from hundreds of thousands of acres of public land. I might try to get on some dog hunts for bear, but that's not high on my list. I want to kill a bear (rifle) in the mountains without bait or dogs. I already know it's going to be a chore. Anyone on here have experience bear hunting without bait or dogs in Appalachian Mountains? I'll take all of the pointers I can get.

Planning on walking a good bit, looking for food (white oaks mostly) and bear sign along ridges, in the next week.
    No experience at all, but going to try it this year myself. Good luck. If you kill one, you will pay for it on the drag out. i'm gonna go with some dog men. Look on the GON page. They have a bear forum and those guys kill a few still hunting.

My sister's back yard is a great place to get one. She also back up to public land. It's for sale by the way.

IMG_63827999421431_zpswo8eu5gj.jpeg

FB_IMG_1435534598507.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Where's her house?

I wandered around the Pisgah a few days ago with the kids and my wife, found some fresh bear shit. Going back this weekend to see if I can find one.

Sounds like fun.